a week into green pool

Apr 21, 2008
Ok
Gone thru 25 bottle of 3/4 gallons of bleach, still green but hopefully improving.

Here are my numbers:
FC last eve 14 ( had to go out of town the night before) added 3 bottles .75 bleach . 8 am today FC was at 23. At noon back down to 19 so I dumped in 3 more bottles.

All my numbers as of noon
FC 19
CC 0
Alk-70
ph-7.2
cya 60

One thing i havent been doing every day is brushing hard to see the borrom on deep end, so I brushed real good last night and will vac this afternoon. I have this idea that brushing will muddy up the water but i know brushing stirs the algae up.

22000 gallons inground vinyl pool with sand filter
have run filter 24-7 all week and backwash every evening

Shouldnt I have rid the algae by now?
I have been checking the fc twice a day before work and eve and trying to keep it around 20, maybe I should bump the Fc to 25?
thoughts
mike

I have a couple of questions that might help clarify what is happening. What are you using to test the water? Has the FC level consistently been above zero when you test, or did it only start being above zero recently? Have you done a PH test recently when FC was 10 or lower?

If your test numbers are right and have been that way for a while then there might be some problem with the filter.

Brushing is good, it lets the chlorine kill any algae that might be in the muck and helps get particles into the water where the filter can get them out.

Opened pool April 18 ran filter off/on for a week
Had no FC at start up, was still pretty cold here in West Virginia at the time.
So I added a few bleaches and had FC up to 6 or so. Then took cover off a week later to green
I use the K2006 kit from Taylor and have been testing water with this kit for years.
My PH was low in the beginning so added some Baking Soda and Borax to get ph to 7.2 has creeped up to 7.5 but now at 7.2 but my FC has been at shock levels. I have a 1 hp super pro pump and the Hayward s 244T sand filter and is only 3 yrs old.

I think its clearing slowly. my take is I should have been brushing every eve till it clears, stirs up the algae on the bottom.

I am sure of my readings.

Thanks for your help

Mike

Yes, brushing stirs up the algae, which clouds the water more, all of which is good. If there is too much debris on the bottom it can protect the algae from chlorine, making it much harder to kill. You should brush the entire pool once a day while the chlorine level is high. If you can vacuum stuff up as well that would be great. Although vacuuming can be difficult if you can't see the bottom it is still worth it to get as much organic material out of the pool as possible.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.