Mains Light on Hayward Ecostar

Jul 21, 2012
My pump quit working, everything on the display reads fine except it does not see the serial number of the motor (reads 0). The Mains light is not lit, and I can't find what that is. I am pretty handy with circuit boards, but do not see how to open this. Also, pump is close to being 1 year old, if not a little older. Any suggestions?

here is a link to the manual which shows the teardown of the pump electronics including the circuit boards and connections.

Hayward doesn't suck, they are a reputable pump manufacturer. Good luck with your problem, and dont hesitate to give their tech support a call during the week, I found them helpful when working on a friends pump.

I agree I spoke a bit too soon about 'sucking', but I am referring to the fact that the part that everyone thinks (everyone being most of the stores I have talked to) is about $150 less expensive than buying a whole new pump unit of the same brand. That is ridiculous!!

I did speak with Hayward, they stated they think it is the motor. With the motor wired up, everything attached the diagnostics on the show a serial number of '0' for the motor. Unit says it is running but it indeed is not. The prop in the back spins freely with a little resistance (feels like magnets, which makes sense), so I would have to agree that it doesn't seem like the motor. Just that Motor Drive device that you cannot look at to see if any capacitors or anything is burned up. Very frustrating. I don't understand how they can make this the way to go, say that the pumps will last 10 or so years and only provide a 1 year warranty. Just looked at the information, my pump is barely 14 months old.

Pump repair shop is going to talk to the rep on Monday from Hayward to see if there is anything that can be done. If not, I am going to seriously consider paying for a different brand (not to say there will not be issues with that brand either, I just have a hard time committing that much money to a company that has let me down (not saying 99% of the other people that have purchased this unit have had 0 problems either).

Thanks for the manual, I have it now in electronic and paper format from the box it came in. Still mentions nothing about the MAINS light on the motherboard, but I read somewhere that it may be for indicating that it is running something else since it has that capability? Not a big deal, at this point it would appear I will be spending more than I should have to. Why did I fix this pool again? Oh yeah, its Florida and I have a 3 year old that loves to swim. Pool is 45,000 gallons, just don't build them like this anymore down here. :)

Again, thanks for the assistance. I do appreciate it and apologize for the 'hayward sucks' comment.

Lershac said:
here is a link to the manual which shows the teardown of the pump electronics including the circuit boards and connections.

Hayward doesn't suck, they are a reputable pump manufacturer. Good luck with your problem, and dont hesitate to give their tech support a call during the week, I found them helpful when working on a friends pump.

If that were my experience I would be venting a bit too. Another reputable brand is pentair. I have two of their vs-3050 and have been very happy with them.. quiet and so far reliable. I got them for $850 each. I have a feeling that some accommodation will be made by the rep... a 14 month old pump going out is outside the curve.

They indeed make accommodations. Thanks to Linden Pools of Spring Hill, FL. They argued that I was a good customer and that if they were touting a pump that would last 10 years then one that was 2 months out of a 1 year warranty should be taken care of. Cost me $100, but much better than $850. Would recommend Linden to anyone in my area. Great customer service!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.