Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Proper way to shock

1. Back To Top    #1

Proper way to shock

Hello, I am kind of confused regarding the shocking process. I really do not feel I need to shock since my FC only dropped 3ppm in 24hrs but, there was a bad storm and lots of dirt and other debris as well as frogs starting to hang out at night, so I decided to shock the pool. My confusion is, if my CYA level is 20 and my target shock is 10ppm, how often do I need to add chlorine? It seems that if I raise my FC to shock level and my FC isn't dropping rapidly then I could possibly be adding too much chlorine. So, do I test every hour and if it drops below 10 then raise it back to 10, or, would I be safe to just raise it to 10 and see where my FC level is in the morning? I hope this isn't too confusing, I am a little confused myself about when to add chlorine to properly shock.
    24000 Gallons
    Cristal-Flo Hi-Rate Sand Filter
    IG - Vinyl
    3/4 HP Pump, and 44 Flow Rate
    Older than 10 years.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Proper way to shock

Here's an excerpt from the Pool School article on shocking a pool. To read the full article, click the link in my sig.

1. Measure the FC level
    2. Add enough chlorine to bring FC up to shock level (or a little higher)
    3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 as frequently as practical, but not more than once per hour, and not less than twice a day, until:
    • A. CC is 0.5 or lower;

• B. An overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less;

• C. And the water is clear.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

3. Back To Top    #3

Bo, thanks! Can't believe I didn't understand that, I read over it like 4 times lol. Anyway, I think I am good. I raised my FC to shock level (10ppm), tested about an hour later and it dropped 3ppm within an hour so I raised it back to 10ppm, checked an hour later and it was still at 10ppm so I left it and went to bed. Woke up this morning and my FC was still at 10ppm.
    24000 Gallons
    IG - Vinyl
    Older than 10 years.

4. Back To Top    #4

Sounds like nothing is living in the pool since you passed the OCLT. Is your water also clear and your CC not more than 0.5ppm?

If so, you can let the FC drift down to normal levels and enjoy.

While your daily FC use is not too high, you could likely lower it further by raising the CYA up a little.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

jblizzle, Yes water is clear. I have to wait until my FC drops to at least 5ppm. I have an OTO kit (I know they aren't very accurate, but it has been working for me until I can get one of the recommended ones) and it only measures TC to 5ppm.
    24000 Gallons
    IG - Vinyl
    Older than 10 years.