Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Levels

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Levels

Hey guys. First post but been lurking around in the background for a while learning what I can. I have an Intex 15 ft x 42 inch deep metal frame pool that I plumbed in 1 1/2" PVC and hooked to a 19" TWM sand filter with a Hayward Powerflo LX, 1 1/2 hp I think. Anyway here are my levels according to my Taylor K-2006. Let me know if I'm missing something but I think it's close to where I need to be.

FC - 3.0
    CC - 0.5
    PH - 7.4
    Alk - 120
    CH - 160
    CYA - 50

Thanks

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Levels

Welcome to TFP

With 50 CYA the FC should be between 4 and 8 and never below 4.

Other than that, your #'s look just fine.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks. I guess I over did the Cynaric Acid a little. I would like to keep the chlorine level down around 3 if possible. Don't want the bosses hair to turn orange.

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome!!!

Keeping the FC level at 7ppm with CYA of 90ppm is the equivalent active chlorine level as a FC level of 2ppm with CYA of 25ppm

And both are WAY less active chlorine than you would find in a public pool with a FC of 1ppm and 0ppm of CYA.

You are perfectly safe to swim in your pool up the the shock FC level ... for 50ppm CYA that is a FC of 20ppm.

No worries ... just enjoy!!!

But, if you do want to turn people hair colors ... put a LOT of copper in your water and you will see green hair .... JK do not really do that.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

This is great news. Now my mind is at ease. I can up the chlorine without worrying about the side effects. I've been adding about 3 oz of algecide each week also and water is extremely clear other than the normal bugs each day. This has been a good test to find out how much trouble it would be to keep a pool up. Actually hope I can get the Garden Leisure Nova pool next year. I think it's actually made by Wilbar. Time will tell though as getting the ground prepped and level for this pool was a royal pain this the Red Clay I live on plus the hillside I live on. Ground drops about 8 inches over a 15 foot span.

6. Back To Top    #6

Welcome to tfp, epoxyoyo

Quote Originally Posted by epoxyoyo
    I've been adding about 3 oz of algecide each week also and water is extremely clear other than the normal bugs each day.
    Using an algaecide is typically not needed if you maintain the proper level of chlorine (for your cya level). If you do use a algaecide, use a 60% polyquat...and never use an algaecide with copper in it.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.