3HP pump for an infinity edge?

Aquatica

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 26, 2010
Nassau, Bahamas
is 3HP too much? this is a small trough and I think it is pulling too much water too fast. Might try closing the return a little so water stays high in the pump strainer basket. The pump keeps losing prime. I have the system off now overnight to see if there is a leak. If not then will adjust the return valve and see if that helps keep prime.

But I still think 3HP is too much just to pull water from the trough into the pool.

It takes a rather high flow rate to make an infinity edge look right. The total HP required very much depends on the length of the edge. It is not at all uncommon to need more than 3 HP, though without knowing any details it is impossible to say.

It could be that there simply isn't enough water in the system for things to work correctly. There needs to be enough water in the trough (plus tank if you have a tank) to support the increased water height in the main pool when the edge is running and still leave enough water in the trough for the pump to be happy.

Thanks Jason that makes sense. actually we are trying to fix two pools with the same problem. One has a tank. the infinity used to work but now doesn't. we found a leak and fixed it today so hopefully all is good now.

The other one was built by a construction co who built the house. they are not pool builders. They used 3" to the pump but goes uphill. the trough is only around 10ftx3ft and about 3ft deep. They might need a tank also..

assuming there is no leak I could always close the return line valve a bit. This has worked for another pool we used to take care of that had a trough and waterfall. If we ran the valves wide open the strainer basket would not fill up properly but when I closed the valves a little the strainer filled and kept the pump primed. of course not the best solution but might be a fix.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.