Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How do I "dial back" pump pressure?

1. Back To Top    #1

How do I "dial back" pump pressure?

I got a deal on a new Hayward Perflex EC75A de filter. According to Hayward this filter should be matched to a pump with a 30-100 GPM output. However, my 2 hp pump delivers 110 GPM. What are some options to "dial back" the pump pressure to less than 100 GPM? Would installing a check valve between the pump and filter help?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How do I "dial back" pump pressure?

Welcome to TFP!

You really shouldn't use that filter with that pump. There are some ways to work around the flow rate issue, but they are rather more complicated than matching the pump to the filter correctly and they also waste electricity besides. Do you really need a 2 HP pump? The simplest thing might be to install a smaller impeller in the pump, which will reduce it's effective HP.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Either that filter is way too small for your pool, or that pump is way too big. Bottom line is you need to match the pump and the filter to your pool and each other.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to tfp, Silverhawk

How big is your pool?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

5. Back To Top    #5

I have an oddly-shaped pool with a spa. Best guess is 15-20k gallons.

Based on everyone's comments the Hayward EC75A would be too small for my set-up (Sta-Rite Dura-Glas II up-rated 2 hp pump with 2" piping throughout). Oh well, back on Craig's List it goes.

How about a 31" sand filter, such as the Hayward Pro Series with a 4.91 ft filtration area? I'm replacing a 14-year old Pac-Fab FNS-48 de filter that's given good service but is on its last legs.

6. Back To Top    #6

The EC75A has a peak residential flow a rate of about 98 GPM, so it would have the same issue.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

The EC75A is just about right for your pool ...the real problem is your pump is too big.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Silverhawk
    How about a 31" sand filter, such as the Hayward Pro Series with a 4.91 ft filtration area?
    Oh I missed that you posted this. Even that filter is too small for that pump IMO, it also has a peak flow rate of 98 gpm (JL may have been referring to this filter in his last post and not the EC75A).

By the way, the EC75A has a max residential flow rate of 100 gpm (though it would be better at a max "public" design rate of 80 gpm).

Looking at the pump curves and 50 ft of head, that pump will put out about 117 gpm.

9. Back To Top    #9

Concur - you have WAY too much pump for your pool / filter - something more around 3/4 - 1 SFHP should be plenty, 1.5 at the outside.
    16x32 IG 19,000 gallons, Pentair 1.5 hp Energy Efficient Superflo pump (348024),vinyl liner, Chlorine dispenser, Hayward S-244T sand filter

10. Back To Top    #10

I would guess that if you got the correctly sized pump, that EC75 would make your water clear as glass, very quickly and with reasonable runtimes.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100