Hi I have been reading all fo the solar heating panel posts here for over a week but have several questions I hope someone can answer. I always like to get answers from people who have been there and done that to compare with the manufacturers .
1st My pool is a 13 x 29 ( almost grecian shape but not quite )fiberglass pool in Tulsa OK. It has no shade whatsover and I would like to extend the season as much as possible. In July and August my pool water avgs 88 degrees but the fringe months are tough for everyone but the kids( I swear they will swim in 50 degree water)
I have a Hayward 1 HP single speed pump with a Hayward sand filter that is rated for 44 GPM. I have 2 returns( the farthest is about 40 feet from the pump. The skimmer is about 25 feet from the pump, but I also have a valve to draw water from the bottom
I will be placing the panels on my roof and the section I have chosen is my 1 and 1/2 story roof that faces west ( which is the hottest direction here in OK) . This roof is about 18 feet wide, but over 30 feet tall with a 35 degree slope.
I really like the idea of the 20 ft fafco panels however their instructions say only the 12 ft and unde rpanels can be mounted vertically and that I must mount the 20 ft panels horizontally which wont work for me.
this will be a DIY project and I am good with PVC plumbing .
1. Does anyone else have 20 ft panels mounted vertically? Have you had any problems?
2. What is the differnce between AGP and IGP solar panels? I really like the solar bear panels but they are marked AGP.
3. Will I need to replace my pump to a larger size?
4. Black PVC pipe is extremely difficult to find has anyone tried painting white PVC pipe black?
5. I am planning on starting out with either 2 or 3 (4*20) panels. thoughts? the west facing sun here in OK gets brutally hot between 4PM and 8PM ( I will have direct sun on the panels between 11am and dusk)
6. Anything I forget please let me know. I have been searching for answers and find a lot of conflicting advice and ideas