Use Pentair Easy Touch & Auto Pilot Total Control together?

Garet Jax

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 3, 2012
Bel Air, MD
Can I use the Pentair Easy Touch 8 system with the Auto Pilot Total Control system or do they offer similar (overlapping functionality)? Does using one or the other preclude me from using certain pumps or filters? Thanks a lot.

Trying to learn as much as I can.

Re: Use Pentair Easy Touch & Auto Pilot Total Control togeth

Can they be used together? Yes but it isn't a very good mix.

An Easytouch can come with the transformer for the Intellichlor salt cell built in. Add the IntelliPH with an acid tank with it's timed release and the costs come in much less. Once dialed in, the pool pretty much cares for itself though proper testing is still needed, as it is for all pools.

Mixing brands of products is generally discouraged. Often, you lose the manufacturers extended warranty. Sometime, functionality suffers too.

Scott

They will work together, though they will not integrate together as well as if you stick with same brand combinations. The Total Control system is a chemistry automation, while the Easy Touch is an electrical automation system. They have very little overlap in features, only that the EasyTouch can optionally have a SWG added on.

A Pentair SWG can be controlled from the EasyTouch remote, while an AutoPilot unit needs to be controlled directly from it's own control panel.

By the by, I don't recommend getting the Total Control version of the AutoPilot unit on a residential pool. ORP based chlorine automation is very problematic and usually makes for much more trouble rather than simplifying anything. Their SWGs are great, but the chlorine automation is not suitable for residential users.

PoolGuyNJ said:
Can they be used together? Yes but it isn't a very good mix.

An Easytouch can come with the transformer for the Intellichlor salt cell built in. Add the IntelliPH with an acid tank with it's timed release and the costs come in much less. Once dialed in, the pool pretty much cares for itself though proper testing is still needed, as it is for all pools.

Mixing brands of products is generally discouraged. Often, you lose the manufacturers extended warranty. Sometime, functionality suffers too.

Scott

Thanks for the advice. Didn't realize Pentair had something to compete with the total control pieces.

JasonLion said:
They will work together, though they will not integrate together as well as if you stick with same brand combinations. The Total Control system is a chemistry automation, while the Easy Touch is an electrical automation system. They have very little overlap in features, only that the EasyTouch can optionally have a SWG added on.

A Pentair SWG can be controlled from the EasyTouch remote, while an AutoPilot unit needs to be controlled directly from it's own control panel.

By the by, I don't recommend getting the Total Control version of the AutoPilot unit on a residential pool. ORP based chlorine automation is very problematic and usually makes for much more trouble rather than simplifying anything. Their SWGs are great, but the chlorine automation is not suitable for residential users.

Jason,

I thought I read a post from you that said you used the Total Control for adding cid so I assumed it was for residential use.

Are you saying that any automated acid or PH control is bad for residential pools? So would the Pentair system be bad too?

PH control works well, it is the chlorine automation that doesn't work. Of course, not everyone needs PH control, as the levels can often be balanced so that PH is stable. However if you have high TA fill water and lots of evaporation then an acid feed system is the way to go.

You can get a system with just PH control, without the chlorine sensor, from Pentair, that is more cost effective because you aren't paying for the portion you don't want/need.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.