Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pics of where I'm at with my pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Pics of where I'm at with my pool

After all the help I have received from this forum, here are some pictures of where I am with my pool currently. Thank you all for the help and I'm sure I will be asking many more questions.[attachment=0:37cl0wv0]072012103629.jpg[/attachment:37cl0wv0]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    21 foot by 4 foot AGP, Jacuzzi Laser 192 sand filter, Hayward 1 HP pump, approx. 9100 gallons, install 7/15-7/17/2012

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pics of where I'm at with my pool

[attachment=0:2o2panxl]072012103531 (480x640).jpg[/attachment:2o2panxl]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    21 foot by 4 foot AGP, Jacuzzi Laser 192 sand filter, Hayward 1 HP pump, approx. 9100 gallons, install 7/15-7/17/2012

3. Back To Top    #3

Who poured chocolate milk in your pool?
    18x52 intex ultra frame pool 6981 gallons, 1 HP LL pump with 19 in sand filter,BBB method,borax 50ppm
    leslies DPD test kit + fas-dpd chlorine test kit + borates test strips
    thru wall skimmer,hard plumbed with 2 returns 1 1/2 sch 40 pvc
    1 large fountain 1 inch sch 40 pvc,shut off ball valves on all

4. Back To Top    #4

You got some work ahead of you.....I have seen worse....It's do able
    18x52 intex ultra frame pool 6981 gallons, 1 HP LL pump with 19 in sand filter,BBB method,borax 50ppm
    leslies DPD test kit + fas-dpd chlorine test kit + borates test strips
    thru wall skimmer,hard plumbed with 2 returns 1 1/2 sch 40 pvc
    1 large fountain 1 inch sch 40 pvc,shut off ball valves on all

5. Back To Top    #5

Do you have a test kit and current test numbers?
    Are you shocking?
    How long has it been this way and is it improving?
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump

6. Back To Top    #6

get LOTS of bleach.
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

7. Back To Top    #7

I'm waiting for test kit to arrive. I just have a cheapy one from walmart right now. Chlorine is at .5 and PH is 7.8. The local fire dept brought out water for us, we are 8 miles from nearest town. The water had a lot of iron in it. I will be shoking it tomorrow. Trying to see how well the pump and filter will do(monitoring very closely). It is improving from yesterday...seems to just be a slow process. I'm hoping to have it swimable by Sunday or Monday as our temps are going to be up into the high 90's again.

8. Back To Top    #8

We had the same situation when we first installed our pool water truck brought water high in Iron....I would suggest a sequestriant also
    POOL SIZE: 27 FT round 52" Deep on edges 66" Deep in center
    FILTER TYPE: Hayward Sand Filter
    PUMP SIZE: Hayward 1 HP Pump 60GPM
    FILTER SIZE/FLOW RATE: Unknown
    HEATER: None at the moment but in process of making my solar panels should be operational by next season!

9. Back To Top    #9

Put sequestriant last night...sorry must have thought it but didnt type it.

10. Back To Top    #10

Work with ChemGeek or one of the metal-knowledgable posters here. pH has a lot to do with metals. Using the incorrect sequestrant can add other chemicals you do not want in your pool there are only a few recommended brands here. See Pool School for more info.

I have seen several postings where they tie a cotton sock to the return and place paper towels in the skimmer basket to help trap the rusty debris. If you do this, be sure to watch your flow, your pressures and make sure your pump doesn't lose flow. It may need the water flow to keep it cool and running safely.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

11. Back To Top    #11

I'm sorry, but your pool will not be swim-able by Sunday or Monday. It's best to not even think it's possible.

Have you read Pool School a few times? I think it'd be good if you focused on the green swamp information. Brown water and metals aside, you're going to need to do the shocking process for a number of days.

Following the information here will allow for the fastest turnover possible. Promise.
    Where kids swim in 54 degree water, turn blue, and giggle happily cuz they got a POOL!
    Year 3 BBB -15' x 48" Intex Metal Frame - Was using (2) 1000gph Intex cartridge filters (see Full time pumping Intex). 2012, converted to 1600gph and sand filter+SWG = Sand filter love affair!
    Don't waste time and energy looking for a better value on test kits, the TF100 is the best deal around. I did the looking and spent the extra money, but you don't have to make the same mistake. Just go here: TFTestkits. I use Pool Calculator for min/max, and shocking chlorine levels.

12. Back To Top    #12

If your CL levels are good... that's great

The most important thing when you water is cloudy (other than CL) is to make sure the pump and filter are working 24/7 until the water is clear. No chemical will remove cloudy debris and rusty or red dirt, only the filter. Let you pressures rise to 25% over your clean pressure. If 10 PSI is clean, let it rise to 12 or13 before doing a backwash. In a sand filter, it is helpful to let your filter get "a little dirty" to improve performance. DE can be added but it will require more attention but may make the process faster if you dedicate your time to it. See Pool School for more about this.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

13. Back To Top    #13

Thanks everyone. I've read pool school like 20 times and still find myself confused. I'm more of a hands on kinda person. Reading doesnt do much for me.

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by SadieBailey
    Thanks everyone. I've read pool school like 20 times and still find myself confused. I'm more of a hands on kinda person. Reading doesnt do much for me.
    Ask questions and we'll try to help - maybe with pics.
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump

15. Back To Top    #15

Once you get the test kit in action then you'll start to see some action/reaction and start to understand how the various chemicals impact the water.
    I'm the same way, reading is critical but hands on helps me understand much better.
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list