CYA = Using Shock Plus from Aqua Chem?

Jul 29, 2010
Jacksonville, NC
Refilling Intex pool now.

Reading the pool school, I just wanted to make sure to get the CYA up to use this product.?

Thanks

I know it's not the best but I also got the 3 way test kit from K-mart. I think it might be a small step up from the strips...They keep that stuff inside so it was in a indoor climate!

bmarley5780 said:
Refilling Intex pool now.

Reading the pool school, I just wanted to make sure to get the CYA up to use this product.?

I know it's not the best but I also got the 3 way test kit from K-mart. I think it might be a small step up from the strips...They keep that stuff inside so it was in a indoor climate!

With that test kit - how will you know your CYA levels? Without that crucial info you are operating blind as to target state for chlorine levels.

I realize you are starting with zero CYA - so in theory you could use dichlor or trichlor "shock" packets to get your CYA levels right. However over time as you replace water you will not have a clear way to know the CYA levels.

If you want to use dichlor or trichlor (I can't recall which is in the product you mentioned) it can be done. Use poolcalculator.com to determine the amount you need to get the CYA level you need. The more common and recommended way is to just buy CYA at the Walmart or pool store and add it via a sock in front of the return.

If you have problems obtaining CYA or you have packets of dichlor/trichlor you want to use for this post the % from the package and we can help you understand the details. Just remember that those packages labeled "shock" have nothing to do with "shocking the pool" as taught by Pool School - and that using this type of chlorine long term can build CYA up to a level that you cannot easily sustain a trouble free pool with.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.