Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Draining Water

1. Back To Top    #1

Draining Water

I have an 9K gallon'ish fiberglass pool that the CYA is running at 80ppm. I need to drain about 1/2 of the water to bring that down to a more manageable level. My question is how to do this the easiest way?
    I know that I can use a sump pump and pump it out, but I really don't want to buy one to use once or twice per year. I have a cartridge type set up with an air release valve on the top which when fully bleed puts out an impressive amount of water. Can I rig a hose to that air valve and let the pool pump drain it through that valve without damaging anything?

Thanks!
    9K gal. IG Fiberglass Pool
    1 HP Pentair SuperFlo Pump
    240 sqft. Pentair Cartridge Filter
    Non-SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Draining Water

If the air vent is the only thing you have you can certainly use it to drain water from the pool.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

If you have a harborfreight nearby, I have heard people on the forum picking up sump pumps for less than $50.

The air vent will work, but likely be WAY slower than you think.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

You can fill a hose with water and siphon using that method. The vacuum hose will work if you can get the end lower than the water level you want to get down to.
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the input guys.
    My pool is IG, so there's really no way to get a siphon hose low enough to use that method. I will give the vent valve a shot if I can come up with a way to tap off of it and its not going to take forever.
    It might be just about as easy to modify my return piping by adding a simple drain valve that I can hook a hose up to.
    Non-SWG

6. Back To Top    #6

If the chlorine is allowed to dissipate, is this water safe for watering vegetables? It seems a waste to waste it all. I could fill a couple of rainbarrels wit it.
    8500 Gallon AG/WaterWays HiFlo pump/ClearWaterII Cartridge Filter 100 sqft (replaced in July 2012)/ TF-100 test kit/BBB & Muriatic Acid system
    Southwestern Pennsylvania

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Pull the drain plug on the filter, close the skimmers, turn on the pump. Caution it will get wet at the equipment pad.

Alternatively screw a barbed fitting into the filter drain (it's probably 1.5" pipe) attach vacuum hose to barbed fitting and direct the water to some less inconvenient place.
    In the industry, CSP (Certified Service Professional) by the NSPI and it's successor the APSP. My company services over 600 pools every year. I think the practices regularly espoused on this forum (especially the BBB method) are outstanding; however my comments will be often oriented towards the goal of getting it done, and getting it done right now!

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Qwaxalot
    Alternatively screw a barbed fitting into the filter drain (it's probably 1.5" pipe) attach vacuum hose to barbed fitting and direct the water to some less inconvenient place.
    This is also a pretty good idea. Let me see what I have...thanks
    Non-SWG

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Bjarni
    Quote Originally Posted by Qwaxalot
    This is also a pretty good idea. Let me see what I have...thanks
    Or get a backwash hose, they come up to 100' lengths. Roll it out and get rid of any kinks before you start the water, because it will come out so fast you won;t believe it, and it won't always smooth out the kinks; it may blow the hose. Ask me how I know.

And hang on to that thing, because it will be like a firehose. When I last backwashed, I stationed my wife at the pump switch while I was around the corner on the front lawn. I used my headset and caller her on her cell phone so I was able to have her shut it down instantly when I told her.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    When I last backwashed, I stationed my wife at the pump switch while I was around the corner on the front lawn. I used my headset and caller her on her cell phone so I was able to have her shut it down instantly when I told her.
    LOL, sounds like a Delta Force maneuver. Too funny.
    Non-SWG