Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cal-Hypo in an Colored Plaster pool on a DE filter

1. Back To Top    #1

Cal-Hypo in an Colored Plaster pool on a DE filter

My pool is recently installed (plaster completed on May 3, 2012). I have been using Tri-Chlor pucks all season and have seen a recent uptick in CYA due to the heatwave here in the northeast. My CYA average so far this season has been 40 - 50, but last two readings are 90, hence my desire to change to a unstabilized chlorine alternative. My current readings are as follows:

FC - 3.0
    CC - 0
    pH - 7.6
    TA - 100
    CH - 250
    CYA - 90

I have a few questions regarding the use of Cal-Hypo in a colored plaster pool that is running a DE filter.

(1) Can Cal-Hypo stain an Onyx Ansylbrite (colored) plaster pool irrespective of CH level?
    (2) If Cal-Hypo is thoroghly mixed in a 5 gallon bucket of water before adding to pool (and sediment at bottom of bucket is not dumped in), is there any potential for staining or any other problems/issues with using Cal-Hypo in an Onyx Ansylbrite (colored) plaster pool if the CH is 250?
    (3) Can using Cal-Hypo long-term cause any damage to a DE filter?

Thanks
    18,500 gallons, DE filter, IG
    Onyx Ansylbrite (colored) plaster
    Jandy Pump 1.0 HP, Zodiac Filter (flow rate = 120 gpm)
    Installed May 2012

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cal-Hypo in an Colored Plaster pool on a DE filter

You're still going to be adding Calcium, which can eventually lead to scaling on your pool.

Why not just use bleach? No unwanted additives, no premixing.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Your CH is at the low end of the ideal range. Adding CalHypo is going to drive that number up at a fairly fast pace. Using bleach would eliminate this risk.
    19204 Gallon L Shape with a 10X10 2nd Step Baja Ledge. Intellichlor IC-40, IntellipH, Cartridge Filter, Pentair Heater/Chiller (Heat Pump). Tons of Deck with Deck Jets. Construction Complete 6/5/17.

"If you don't measure it, you can't manage it!"

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the suggestions on the bleach. I will most likely switch to bleach.
    18,500 gallons, DE filter, IG
    Onyx Ansylbrite (colored) plaster
    Jandy Pump 1.0 HP, Zodiac Filter (flow rate = 120 gpm)
    Installed May 2012

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

If your CYA tests 90 again in a second test, I would drain/refill to get it back to 40-50ppm and use bleach for the rest of the season.

Don't use Cal-hypo.....your overdose of CYA will diminish it's effectiveness causing you to likely overdose on Cal-hypo to compensate. Cloudy water and scaling can result.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School