Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Care After Major Rainstorm

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Care After Major Rainstorm

Last night I found myself out in the the middle of a huge rainstorm (in MD) with the filter on backwash trying
    to get the water level down so it doesn't go over the pool. My question is: After a major rainstorm where so
    much water is added to the pool and then having to drain water out the pool, is the best course of action
    to check the CYA level to see where it is at and adjust if necessary? Test chlorine and ph and adjust...should
    I worry about bringing the pool to a higher chlorine level than normal just in case? CC all summer long has
    been .25 or 0. FC has never gotten lower than 4 and CYA is around 30.

The pool has been amazingly easy with the BBB method and the TF test kit, just don't want a huge rainstorm
    to mess it all up.

18'x33'52" Oval
    1hp 2 speed Optiflo Pump
    TA60D #325 ClearPro Sand Filter

2. Back To Top    #2
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: Pool Care After Major Rainstorm

If you got a load of dirt and whatever washing into the pool, then bump the FC a little. Otherwise, you already have things figured out. Let it circulate for a couple hours before you test, to mix the fresh water into the treated water.

I love a big rain. It means free Calcium-free water for me! But we don't get many good storms here in SoCal.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the reply. Very little debris and no dirt. I did get free aeration last night and with the hot days we have
    been having I was needing to add fill water to the pool any way. At least, it got done naturally.
    18'x33'52" Oval
    1hp 2 speed Optiflo Pump
    TA60D #325 ClearPro Sand Filter

4. Back To Top    #4
    Merrimack, NH

You do lose a little bit of sand each time you backwash, so when I have to raindrain, I use the waste position. Most times, I don't even run the pump, just let it gravity drain.
    After all the heat we've had here, I was hoping for a good rainstorm, but it didn't happen - I'll be using the hose to fill it back up. Consider yourself lucky!

16' X 24' Wilkes Pools "Genesis", 10K Gal
    Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1 hp, & 18" Pro Series sand (S180T)