Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hayward C1200 Stripped Locking Knob/Rod

1. Back To Top    #1

Hayward C1200 Stripped Locking Knob/Rod

Went out to clean my C1200 cartridge filter this morning and can't open it. I can turn the knob about 8 turns before I get a loud click/thump and no more progress. I can tell something is stripped. I tried tightening it up and loosening it but at the same point I got the same result. I also tried putting upward and downward pressure on the top but it didn't help.

My question is how best to get this thing opened up to inspect what the problem is. I was able to screw it back down tight so it is operating OK, but I need to get this figured out quick.

I'm going to be on the road for a couple of days so I won't be able to try anything until Sunday night, but it just happened so I decided to ask now.
    21,000 gallon Diamond Brite Blue, Hayward Star Clear Plus 1200 Cartridge filter, Polaris 280, TF-100 Test Kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hayward C1200 Stripped Locking Knob/Rod

When it comes to the point of making the thump noise, use an improvised lever between the parts being unscrewed to help it continue along the threads.

Such a lever could be a flat screwdriver of suitable size, a wooden spatula or something like that.

Could be that this is a two person and multi lever job.
    Donīt be fooled by the sheep on my bike, I swim with fish in my sound equipped pool.

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm going to wait until I get back in town Sunday night to try this just in case I can't get it back together. I'd hate to have to leave it off over the weekend while I am out of town. I've got a 4 hour drive today and my wife is pushing to get out of here.

Is the stripped part most likely the knob or the rod?
    21,000 gallon Diamond Brite Blue, Hayward Star Clear Plus 1200 Cartridge filter, Polaris 280, TF-100 Test Kit.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

filter has one year warranty. seen similar models where the tightening rod loosen from the bottom debris sump (usually from overtightening and/or lack of top lid O ring lubrication?) rod is probably intact so either the bottom or top female threads may be messed up. if under warranty, Hayward will replace with new filter. if not you could order replacement locking knob and use dremel tool to surgically remove current locking knob from rod assuming knob is stripped. if sump base is stripped, i'm not aware of a repair other than replacement of filter.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Sprocket View Post
    Went out to clean my C1200 cartridge filter this morning and can't open it. I can turn the knob about 8 turns before I get a loud click/thump and no more progress. I can tell something is stripped. I tried tightening it up and loosening it but at the same point I got the same result. I also tried putting upward and downward pressure on the top but it didn't help.

My question is how best to get this thing opened up to inspect what the problem is. I was able to screw it back down tight so it is operating OK, but I need to get this figured out quick.

I'm going to be on the road for a couple of days so I won't be able to try anything until Sunday night, but it just happened so I decided to ask now.
    I had the same problem. I unscrewed it as much as possible and turned the pump on. The pressure popped the top off and I was able to clean the filter. Putting it back on, I had to press very hard to get the top to catch. It was a temporary solution and I am guessing I need to replace the long screw of the to handle, or both. Michele P.

6. Back To Top    #6

I also have a c1200 cartridge filter. When I loosened the top knob, the filter top would not come off. What I did was use a block of wood and a hammer to gently tap the top filter cover up in a circular pattern, eventually separating the top half. I had an O-ring that needed lubrication. The filter top fits really tight even with a lubed O-ring.
    2001 15,000 gal IG plaster pool with spa, screen enclosure, Jandy 1.5HP 2-speed FloPro pump, Hayward C1200 star-clear plus cartridge filter, Hayward H300 pool heater
    7 FAFCO solar panels w/Goldline GL-35 controller, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

All the methods used may work. If not, you may need to cut the rod. If this is needed I will provide the needed repair parts. I will need a private message with address and phone number.
    Hayward Pool Tech
    80+ Years of Technologically Advanced Pool Product Manufacturing
    poolside@haywardnet.com

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by 98landry View Post
    filter has one year warranty. seen similar models where the tightening rod loosen from the bottom debris sump (usually from overtightening and/or lack of top lid O ring lubrication?) rod is probably intact so either the bottom or top female threads may be messed up. if under warranty, Hayward will replace with new filter. if not you could order replacement locking knob and use dremel tool to surgically remove current locking knob from rod assuming knob is stripped. if sump base is stripped, i'm not aware of a repair other than replacement of filter.
    Can you tell me more about removal of the stripped locking knob and replacement?
    Inground swimming pool, Hayward pump, Hayward C1200 cartridge filter. Approximately 10,000 gallon pool. Hayward Automatic Chlorinator

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by dvaughn View Post
    Can you tell me more about removal of the stripped locking knob and replacement?
    dvaughn, I also have the same problem. I am curious to know how you solved your problem? Thanks
    In-ground, open air, 30 ft X 15 ft rectangular pool, approximately 16000 gallons. Hayward CX 1750RE cartridge, Hayward SP2600VSP pump. Taylor K-2006 kit. Floatron. Smartpools NC 71 wall scrubber pool robot.

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

If you are able to get the lid off, the knob is held in with a simple E-clip under the guide cone.

Use one of the methods above to get the lid off. You should not have to cut the rod or knob.
    25K aggregate IG, Intellipro, FNS48, Polaris 360, PG2000 fiber optic light source