Pool is filling with Water - What is next AGP

Jul 7, 2012
Caddo Mills, Tx
I started filling my pool with water last night (city water, but is very hard, and leaves stains in commodes) and reading instruction manuals on setting up filter pump and SWG. I quickly learned that I needed sand and salt. I came back to TFP website and decided I best do some more reading. I've been up all night cramming in Pool School and also reading through the forums. This is where I am at:

Ordered Test Kit online - TF-100 I believe it is called (along with $120 in optionals)
Have plan to go buy 100 lbs of sand and according to Intex manual:
360 lbs of Salt (seems like alot)
3.6 lbs of CYA

I thinking I needed to place CYA in sock, add all the salt, and throw in many gallons of bleach to start my pool, while only running my sand filter for the first 24 hrs? My test kits will take 2-3 days. I figure I can by the HTH 6 one at Walmart on my trip to start testing after the first 24hrs. Post the results and go from there?

Any advice or corrections to my plan would be much appreciated. I understand I need to use the Pool School Calculator and put my results in as I can, but I won't even know the CYA for a week, so that is were I get stumped.

Thanks in advance and thanks to this website! Without it, my Intex manuals referred me to pool supply stores for advice.

Don't know about the specifics of Intex but I can say that reading pool school, ordering the test kit and using the pool calculator is exactly what you want to do. Those 3 things are very important, great job :goodjob:

Just a few notes - since you are going to be using a SWG, you'll want a higher CYA and will need about twice the amount listed.

Also, I don't think it won't be "many of gallons" of bleach the first day. You'll want to dose up to about 3, which is 89 oz. For ease, I'd just add one of the 96oz jugs of bleach. You may need to repeat this a few times before your SWG is ready to take over.

<<Please do not plan to put your results in your signature. I believe there is a 5 line limit. Also, we will need it in the thread so that we have a running record of all your test results. If it is in your signature, we will only be able to see your current results and any history will be erased.>>

Good luck!

I'm not certain on what salt level your SWG wants. According to the calculator, that should bring you up to around 3000ppm, which seems to be a pretty common figure. It will probably end up taking over 8lbs of stabilizer. If your gallons are correct, 8 lbs would get you up to 67. The suggested number in pool school for a SWG is 70-80, but it is always better to shoot low and add more, than to add too much. And yes, I would put all the CYA in at once and squeeze the socks when you can. It may end up that you need one more bag of salt. I've seen people suggest to add 200-400 ppm more of salt starting out and also to have some on hand to replenish the salt, but I will have to defer to someone with more SWG experience than I have to confirm that.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.