BBB method working, but not using borax or baking soda.

Apr 10, 2012
Hello all. I have been lurking for 3 months now and with your wonderful help have installed a 24'x54" sharkline matrix pool. I have 1.5hp hayward 2 spd pump and have been running BBB from day one. My question is. I have only added 12.5% bleach to the pool and raised the CYA levels to 30 ppm... That is IT! Am I doing something wrong? I have the Taylor kit recommended on this site and my PH has always stayed balanced from 7.7 to 7.5, my TA was 90 last time i checked. The water is nice and clear. Should I be adding any other chemicals?

Thanks for you help everyone!

Test results
FC 3
CC 0
CYA 30
TA 90
PH 7.6

Some people are lucky. My pH has stayed around there also but my TA is high and as I have tried lowering it I think the pH is starting to rise a little more but I'm not sure yet if this is a trend or not. The amount of aeration you get (kids playing splashing, fountains, slides) can impact the pH. More aeration = higher pH... so watch to see if over time if the use pattern of the pool changes if you need to adjust then.

Sounds like you are doing great so far.

Borates is kind of a personal choice item if you do not need them for raising pH. They can impact chlorine consumption, and many like the feel it gives the water, along with a little extra sparkle.

It sounds like you have things pretty dialed in though, and may not want to change a thing right now.

I would have to agree. I am very happy with my BBB pool. Last year was swamp city.

This year: Bleach, CYA, Some Borax for PH adjustment and some more later for purty, MA for small PH adjust and the PH for the "purty" Borax. I only added a small amount as the dog drinks some of the water.

This is how the kids like it!

IMG_5011.JPG

techguy said:
I would have to agree. I am very happy with my BBB pool. Last year was swamp city.

This year: Bleach, CYA, Some Borax for PH adjustment and some more later for purty, MA for small PH adjust and the PH for the "purty" Borax. I only added a small amount as the dog drinks some of the water.

This is how the kids like it!

IMG_5011.JPG

Dog on the raft! Awesome!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.