Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: BBB method working, but not using borax or baking soda.

1. Back To Top    #1

BBB method working, but not using borax or baking soda.

Hello all. I have been lurking for 3 months now and with your wonderful help have installed a 24'x54" sharkline matrix pool. I have 1.5hp hayward 2 spd pump and have been running BBB from day one. My question is. I have only added 12.5% bleach to the pool and raised the CYA levels to 30 ppm... That is IT! Am I doing something wrong? I have the Taylor kit recommended on this site and my PH has always stayed balanced from 7.7 to 7.5, my TA was 90 last time i checked. The water is nice and clear. Should I be adding any other chemicals?

Thanks for you help everyone!

Test results
    FC 3
    CC 0
    CYA 30
    TA 90
    PH 7.6

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: BBB method working, but not using borax or baking soda.

Your fine.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

3. Back To Top    #3

Looks good....but I don't believe you without pics.....lol....we love pics
    18x52 intex ultra frame pool 6981 gallons, 1 HP LL pump with 19 in sand filter,BBB method,borax 50ppm
    leslies DPD test kit + fas-dpd chlorine test kit + borates test strips
    thru wall skimmer,hard plumbed with 2 returns 1 1/2 sch 40 pvc
    1 large fountain 1 inch sch 40 pvc,shut off ball valves on all

4. Back To Top    #4

Some people are lucky. My pH has stayed around there also but my TA is high and as I have tried lowering it I think the pH is starting to rise a little more but I'm not sure yet if this is a trend or not. The amount of aeration you get (kids playing splashing, fountains, slides) can impact the pH. More aeration = higher pH... so watch to see if over time if the use pattern of the pool changes if you need to adjust then.

Sounds like you are doing great so far.
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

Same here. Bleach and acid, and trichlor pucks when I'm on vacation. Never added borates, never needed baking soda.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Borates is kind of a personal choice item if you do not need them for raising pH. They can impact chlorine consumption, and many like the feel it gives the water, along with a little extra sparkle.

It sounds like you have things pretty dialed in though, and may not want to change a thing right now.
    19204 Gallon L Shape with a 10X10 2nd Step Baja Ledge. Intellichlor IC-40, IntellipH, Cartridge Filter, Pentair Heater/Chiller (Heat Pump). Tons of Deck with Deck Jets. Construction Complete 6/5/17.

"If you don't measure it, you can't manage it!"

7. Back To Top    #7

I would have to agree. I am very happy with my BBB pool. Last year was swamp city.

This year: Bleach, CYA, Some Borax for PH adjustment and some more later for purty, MA for small PH adjust and the PH for the "purty" Borax. I only added a small amount as the dog drinks some of the water.

This is how the kids like it!

-- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by techguy
    I would have to agree. I am very happy with my BBB pool. Last year was swamp city.

This year: Bleach, CYA, Some Borax for PH adjustment and some more later for purty, MA for small PH adjust and the PH for the "purty" Borax. I only added a small amount as the dog drinks some of the water.

This is how the kids like it!

Dog on the raft! Awesome!
    Plano, TX
    20,000 gallons Kidney Bean IG Plaster, Pentair Clean and Clear 530 Cartridge Filter

9. Back To Top    #9

Kriv, I have dog on raft barking at squirt guns video on my YouTube I will round up a link.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100