Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Richard's Pool School

1. Back To Top    #1

Riverside, CA

Richard's Pool School

I'm reporting back as Richard's grateful student. He came over to my house this afternoon and spent 3 hours educating me, a pool dummy!

He patiently mapped out my circulation system, which is a total maze with three pumps and LOTS of mysterious valves. He showed me his fancy speedstir test kit and generated the following results:
    FC: 0
    CC: 0
    TC: 0
    pH: 7.4
    TA: 130
    CH: 600
    CYA: 130
    The pool water is clear. Plaster shows a bit scaling.
    My pool recently had an algae breakout and just went through Leslie's Yellow Out process. During the process I put in their Yellow Out algaecide, and shocked the pool with 9 lbs of Leslie's Power Powder Plus, and finished with 10 capfuls of Pool First Aid. But yellow algae is still visible. Richard even spotted some green stuff in the skimmer opening.

Richard suggested water replacement or reverse osmosis to reduce the CYA. Till that's done, I need to keep putting in chlorine to prevent the water from getting worse.

Thank you, Richard, for such great schooling! Oh, and thank you for saying I was not fat even though I was too buoyant to touch the . pool floor.
    20,000 gallons, IG plaster, probably built in the 80's.
    Filter: Hayward Pro-Grid DE6020, 120 GPM.
    Pump: Magnetek century E-plus, Purex Triton Whisperflow, WFE-4C, 1HP.
    Fountain booster: Century Centurion A O Smith, CAT B848, 1HP.
    Spa booster: G.E. Jacuzzi pump
    Heater: Raypak RP2100 Digital, Low Nox

2. Back To Top    #2
    Antelope, CA

Re: Richard's Pool School

Good luck!

Let us know if you do a "dump and fill" or an RO, and we like pictures.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

3. Back To Top    #3
    Sault Ontario

Wow, can't beat that level of help...maybe he'd like a scented candle or something
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

4. Back To Top    #4
    Sun City West Arizona (2nd Home)

Quote Originally Posted by cramar
    Wow, can't beat that level of help...maybe he'd like a scented candle or something

OK, that there is just funny!
    14100 Gal IG MiniPebble, Pentair Intellichlor IC-40 SWG, Sand Filter, Pop Up Cleaning, Intelliflo VS Pump, Aquacal Heatpump/Chiller, 1/4 Acre Desert Landscaped, Lots of Deck. Built in 1984, updated in 2012 and 2014
    "If you don't measure it, you can't manage it!"