Adding CYA with pucks during vacation

partypond

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 5, 2008
Frisco, Texas
Ok, I just returned from a 2 wk vacation. My pool was very low (20) on CYA so while I was gone I used some left over pucks to add chlorine & CYA while I was gone. I just checked the CYA level and it has not changed so I just want to make sure it does not take some time for it to register like it does when you add CYA by itself.

Thanks

and how many pucks did you add? There is is chance you started out well below 20 shop it may still read the same.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone ;)

I use the tf-100 kit.

I put about 5-6 pucks in when I left and there is not much left in there now. I am not sure if they added any more while I was gone but I don't think so. Yes it could have been below 20 .. I have run it really low this year because of this vacation but now I need to get it back to a regular level.

5 6-ounce pucks would raise the FC by 14.2 ppm and the CYA by 8.6 ppm while 6 8-ounce pucks would raise the FC by 22.7 ppm and the CYA by 13.8 ppm. It should not take a week to show up in the test since it's not already granular as pure CYA (i.e. it dissolves directly from the puck). As Jason wrote, a roughly 10 ppm CYA increase might be hard to notice in the test if it was somewhat below 20 before and is somewhat above 20 now.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.