Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Adding CYA with pucks during vacation

1. Back To Top    #1

Adding CYA with pucks during vacation

Ok, I just returned from a 2 wk vacation. My pool was very low (20) on CYA so while I was gone I used some left over pucks to add chlorine & CYA while I was gone. I just checked the CYA level and it has not changed so I just want to make sure it does not take some time for it to register like it does when you add CYA by itself.

Thanks
    36x16 gunite, 14,500 gallons, Jandy 2.0hp VS Epump, Jandy CL460 filter, Automatic chlorinator, Jandy Legacy 400K BTU Heater, Polaris 1.5HP spa blower, 2 Colorlogic pools lights and 1 Colorlogic spa light, Polaris 3/4HP booster pump, Polaris 280 cleaner, Jandy PS4 with PDA, QuartzScapes Montego Bay plaster, OK flagstone coping, spray deck (aggregate effect) - completed 3/2011

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Adding CYA with pucks during vacation

What test kit did you use?
    11,700 gallon 21' round 54" deep all-resin AGP - June 2012
    Waterway 1HP 2-speed pump / 100 sq ft cartridge filter
    Hayward 150,000btu Natural Gas heater
    I use and recommend the TF-100 for testing

3. Back To Top    #3

and how many pucks did you add? There is is chance you started out well below 20 shop it may still read the same.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

I use the tf-100 kit.

I put about 5-6 pucks in when I left and there is not much left in there now. I am not sure if they added any more while I was gone but I don't think so. Yes it could have been below 20 .. I have run it really low this year because of this vacation but now I need to get it back to a regular level.
    36x16 gunite, 14,500 gallons, Jandy 2.0hp VS Epump, Jandy CL460 filter, Automatic chlorinator, Jandy Legacy 400K BTU Heater, Polaris 1.5HP spa blower, 2 Colorlogic pools lights and 1 Colorlogic spa light, Polaris 3/4HP booster pump, Polaris 280 cleaner, Jandy PS4 with PDA, QuartzScapes Montego Bay plaster, OK flagstone coping, spray deck (aggregate effect) - completed 3/2011

5. Back To Top    #5

5 6-ounce pucks would raise the FC by 14.2 ppm and the CYA by 8.6 ppm while 6 8-ounce pucks would raise the FC by 22.7 ppm and the CYA by 13.8 ppm. It should not take a week to show up in the test since it's not already granular as pure CYA (i.e. it dissolves directly from the puck). As Jason wrote, a roughly 10 ppm CYA increase might be hard to notice in the test if it was somewhat below 20 before and is somewhat above 20 now.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for the feed back. I will add more CYA until I can get a good reading and then adjust from there.