Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Pump Noise?

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Pump Noise?

Greetings ALL. I am a new homeowner who just had a brand new pool pump installed HP 1.0 this past Monday. It rained most of the day here and we had a pretty bad thunderstorm. Because it was raining so hard, I forgot to go outside to turn on the pool pump. I just heard this noise outside and went to check it out. It sounds like the pool pump trying to start up then the noise dies down and it starts all over again. The pool is not overflowing. Is this the pump way of getting rid of excess water from the pool after the rain? Should I turn the pump on? Please help! I am so new to this!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Pump Noise?

This is a IG pool, 20,000 gallons with a cartridge filter.

3. Back To Top    #3

Omaha, NE

Is this a self-priming pump? Are there bubbles in the pump lid?

Your pump does not get rid of excess water, that would have to be manually done thru the use of the valves of the filter.
    16X24 Oval Doughboy
    10,000 Gallons~
    Pentair Dynamo .75/1.0 HP pump
    16" Pooline D-400 Sand Filter w/ 6-way valve

4. Back To Top    #4
    SouthWest Alabama

Was the pump running during that time?

The only way the pump will start up on it's own is if it's on a timer. The rain or level of the pool will have nothing to do with the pump starting.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit