Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What caused this in my 3 year old Hayward heater

1. Back To Top    #1

What caused this in my 3 year old Hayward heater

My heater started leaking. It's a 3 year old Hayward 250 FDN. Then it would no longer light. I ended up replacing the heater. I took the old one apart and took photos of my exchanger and the burners. Can anyone suggest what caused this so that I can avoid another replacement in three years time? Hopefully the picture attachments work.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    16 X 32 Vinyl. Hayward aqua rite salt system, T -15 cell. Hayward H250 gas heater, Hayward 1HP superpump.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What caused this in my 3 year old Hayward heater

Wow, that is a lot of calcium scale I think.
    Likely due to high CH and pH levels.
    Also looks like the copper was getting into the water as well (the green).
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

The white stuff surrounding and on the burners I thought was some fire retarding material. Is the box containing the burners normally bare? Is there a simple way to tell if its calcium? It was soft and pliable.
    16 X 32 Vinyl. Hayward aqua rite salt system, T -15 cell. Hayward H250 gas heater, Hayward 1HP superpump.

4. Back To Top    #4

OK. Maybe I have no idea what I am talking about I guess I have never looked inside the heaters well enough to be confident.

If you put a little muriatic acid on the "white stuff" it should fizz and bubble if it is calcium.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    OK. Maybe I have no idea what I am talking about I guess I have never looked inside the heaters well enough to be confident.

If you put a little muriatic acid on the "white stuff" it should fizz and bubble if it is calcium.
    I'll try that, but I though muriatic acid on just about anything will fizz and bubble. Hopefully someone on these forums has seen the inside of a new heater.

6. Back To Top    #6

What it looks like to me is that water was somehow getting out of the heat exchanger and then leaving the deposits on everything as it evaporated and "burned" away. But again, hopefully someone more knowledge able will come along.

If that it true ... the build up may not be due to bad chemistry, but more due to a leak that existed for awhile ... now why it leaked is an entirely new question.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

7. Back To Top    #7

You need to test for metals. That green is copper and isn't helping anything.
    11,700 gallon 21' round 54" deep all-resin AGP - June 2012
    Waterway 1HP 2-speed pump / 100 sq ft cartridge filter
    Hayward 150,000btu Natural Gas heater
    I use and recommend the TF-100 for testing

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Vette
    You need to test for metals. That green is copper and isn't helping anything.
    How do I test for metals?

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

In the first picture it looks like the refractory material that makes up the fire box is failing and falling down onto the burners. This is very unusual to see happen. It is posible that the water leak, depending on how severe, could have caused that to happen. Anyway, the reason it would not light is the "junk" all over the burners was messing up the air/fuel mixture. A good cleaning would have solved that and a trip to a local radiator shop could have the hole fixed in the heat exchanger for about $50-$100
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by danpik
    In the first picture it looks like the refractory material that makes up the fire box is failing and falling down onto the burners. This is very unusual to see happen. It is posible that the water leak, depending on how severe, could have caused that to happen. Anyway, the reason it would not light is the "junk" all over the burners was messing up the air/fuel mixture. A good cleaning would have solved that and a trip to a local radiator shop could have the hole fixed in the heat exchanger for about $50-$100
    Do you think it is worth while taking it to a rad shop now for a potential repair and then keeping it onhand as a replacement, given I bought the identical heater to replace it?

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

That is ultimatly a decision you will have to make. I would at least entertain having them evaluate it and give you an estimate for repairs. I fixed one like that last year by simply soldering a new tube inside the one that was leaking.
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

12. Back To Top    #12

In the Industry

Looks to me like you had condensation issues or a leak in the exchanger. I've seen this many times. It would be of no benefit to try and repair the old unit. You fix one pin hole and another will pop up. You'll be chasing good money after bad. Scrap it and get paid for the copper.

How are your pools chemicals?
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by ps0303
    Looks to me like you had condensation issues or a leak in the exchanger. I've seen this many times. It would be of no benefit to try and repair the old unit. You fix one pin hole and another will pop up. You'll be chasing good money after bad. Scrap it and get paid for the copper.

How are your pools chemicals?
    CL 12
    CYA 50
    PH 7.6
    TA 100
    CH 350

I have been pretty diligent in the three years since getting the pool. Water has never been cloudy. No algae. Always battle high PH, but add acid twice per week.

14. Back To Top    #14

In the Industry

Your chlorine is at 12? High levels of chlorine over extended periods of time have been known to pit copper. Why do you keep your chlorine so high?
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by ps0303
    Your chlorine is at 12? High levels of chlorine over extended periods of time have been known to pit copper. Why do you keep your chlorine so high?
    That is just where it was yesterday when I did the test. I had shocked earlier in the week and it is on the way down. I try to keep it around 5.

Can my calcium being 350 cause the problem?

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by jonmar

That is just where it was yesterday when I did the test. I had shocked earlier in the week and it is on the way down. I try to keep it around 5.

Can my calcium being 350 cause the problem?
    I doubt that calcium at your levels were the problem. Your TA and PH are good too. If I'm not mistaken, heater manufacturers require calcium to be at a certain level regardless of what type pool surface you have. A plaster pool requires a CH of 250 to 350, so you're within those levels that a heater normally sees in a plaster pool.
    Bill
    18'X4' 7600 Gal AG
    3/4 HP Pentair Pump
    Hayward S166T 100 lb sand filter

17. Back To Top    #17

Taken from Hayward.
    Attached Images Attached Images