Just got my Taylor K-2006!!

Jul 14, 2012
just got in my kit(well it got in earlier, but I just got home from work)
Went straight to the pool for a sample and inside to test. Just tested my
FC=4 after adding bleach last night(about 22 hours almost a day)
I didn't test cc Because I don't think I need to ( im a newbie, just filled my pool)
Ph 7.2
Ta 80
CH 0.... Do I need this in my above ground??
Cya To be determined just put stabilizer in there yesterday will test in 4-5 days.
I still have about an hour or so of sunlight left..
So I am going to test again once the direct sunlight is off the pool and go from there.
Any tips pointers?
THANKS A TON!
DAN

That's what my thought was too. I walked around in the pool and squeezed the Crud out of the sock and poofed white cloud all around walking in circles for 20 min...
So I figured that is doing its job. I will test all again in a few to make sure it wasn't a fluke!
THANKS GUYS!
DAN

Alright jsut tested again the real one at same time as I usually do with the new taylor kit.
PH 7.1
FC 3.6
TA 80

My pool is just about 12k gallons(11894)

I am adding
22 OZ of bleach to get fc from 3.6 to 4.5
51 OZ (3.3 Lbs) of borax to get the ph from 7.1 to 7.5
56 OZ of baking soda to get TA from 80 to 100
This is per the pool calculator.
Seems right going to add now! Let me know if you have any tips or suggestions!
THANKS
DAN

What kind of pool do you have? Put the info in your signature.

There is not really a need to raise the TA and maybe only a desire to raise the pH a little bit.

How did you get a reading of 3.6ppm on the FC? Are you using the 25ml sample instead of the 10ml sample?

Yes using 25 mil sample as this was my first reading and it is a bit more accurate(I know it uses a bit more of the materials, but that is fine with me for now)
I will create a signature but I am unaware of the pump and its speed etc..
I just know I have a sand filter a 24' round and 48" tall Ag pool.
Any more advice tips pointers are always appreciated!
haven't let me down yet!
THANKS
DAN

!! Added to much BORAX??

My ph (just tested) Shot up to 7.9/8.0
My chlorine dropped after a full day of swimming and sun to 1.5. which I assume is pretty decent as I only have an assumed amount of 30-35 cya. haven't tested yet.

So I guess Ill be adding my bleach and hope my ph drops ( HUGE storm coming in tonight!! maybe it will drop the ph??)

Also my TA was 110 is that ok???

Not sure about the ph though handling acid doesn't sound like fun to me.
THANKS
DAN

Definitely want to get that pH down soon, muriatic acid is easiest, but the dry acid works as well.

You also should probably be targeting a higher FC level to be sure you are not dropping below the 2ppm FC minimum limit for you 30ppm CYA ... it goes up to a minimum of 3ppm at 40ppm CYA BTW.

TA is fine where it is at.

Alright sounds good I will get some acid tomorrow.
I am also performing Overnight chlorine test tonight/morning to see if that could be a problem. I added the bleach about 20 min ago with the pump running.
going to wait for 45 min after I added, get sample test chlorine write down. then test in the am around 9 before sun hits the pool...
Do I have the overnight test down? anything else i should do?

So:
Get acid to lower ph tomorrow.
finish overnight test.
Everything else looks good.

Will the storm/rain. lower ph/raise ph?
What affects does the rain/storm usually have?

THANKS!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We generally recommend doing the OCLT at higher FC levels (closer to shock value), but I think it should work with lower starting values. The question is if you loose 0.5ppm starting so low, would you have lost more than 1ppm if you started higher?

Best if the morning test is done before the sun if really out at all ... not just before it is shining on the water.

yeah but I figured it would still tell either way.... but ill go by about what it says if I lose 1ppm or less I will assume the pool is good. Since its been clear as day for a week now.
Couldn't hurt though. What if it drops 2ppm! Then im glad I caught it early ya?
Thanks for the info and input Ill test earlier then!
THANKS!
DAN

Alright just tested the Am test for OCLT and went from 4.5 to about 4.2/4.3 ( used 25Ml test to be more accurate) So I would assume that the pool is clean and clear.
Ph is still 7.9/8.0
Guess I will be heading to the store for some acid... Ughhh.
THANKS!
DAN

Will the storm/rain. lower ph/raise ph?
What affects does the rain/storm usually have?
A pet peeve of mine. This response is not directed individually but is a general observation.

Rain, unless the water overwashes your decking and floods into the pool, should have very little affect on your pool water chemistry. For some reason, there seems to be a common thought out there that a heavy rain virtually destroys the pool water chemistry and it's time for panic and drastic measures. Nothing should be further from the truth. A 2" rain in a 48" pool results in a 4% change in your numbers (sort of).

So, if you have a heavy rain, don't rush out and scoop some water off the top of your pool, test it, and declare a disaster. Turn on the pump, let the water circulate for 30 min or so, and then take a sample from about a foot below the pool surface. You should see very little change. (Now stepping down off the soap box :mrgreen: )

Lol! THANKS I didn't/haven't panicked was just asking(hoping) maybe it would lower my ph somehow since I was a tad bit higher then it should be.
Just called lowes to make sure they had muriatic acid in stock (online said all local 4 stores were sold out, I found that hard to believe)
gave them the item number and she said they had 97 bottles!! I will scoop one up today to drop my ph back to normal.
Thanks for the info(lashing,LoL)
DAN

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.