Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Good Pool Thermometer?

1. Back To Top    #1

Good Pool Thermometer?

Hi all,
    I searched this forum for a recommendations for a good pool thermometer and found only 3 threads that dealt with them, but none of the reviews were all that great. The best one was an Acurite wireless from a couple of years ago that still had a lot of negative comments. I then searched Amazon and also found some pretty lack luster reviews. I wouldn't think a good floating pool thermometer would be that hard to make...

Does anyone recommend a good thermometer? It can be either the simple floating type or the fancier wireless digital one.

Thanks!
    9K gal. IG Fiberglass Pool
    1 HP Pentair SuperFlo Pump
    240 sqft. Pentair Cartridge Filter
    Non-SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Good Pool Thermometer?

I kind of like the one I have that is built into the skimmer lid ... then the kids do not mess with it and break it. Nothing fancy or wireless though.

EDIT: Sorry, I thought I had written that this was made by Pentair.

Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Bjarni
    Hi all,
    I searched this forum for a recommendations for a good pool thermometer and found only 3 threads that dealt with them, but none of the reviews were all that great. The best one was an Acurite wireless from a couple of years ago that still had a lot of negative comments. I then searched Amazon and also found some pretty lack luster reviews. I wouldn't think a good floating pool thermometer would be that hard to make...

Does anyone recommend a good thermometer? It can be either the simple floating type or the fancier wireless digital one.
    What are the criteria for you? I am brand new to pools and bought mine at Ollies (kind of like Big Lots) for cheap. I think I paid $2.99 for it. It works, it floats, it lays on the side from time to time but otherwise no complaints. Basic analog - no string included - I added a simple nylon one from a builders twine roll at the house.
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    I kind of like the one I have that is built into the skimmer lid ... then the kids do not mess with it and break it. Nothing fancy or wireless though.
    That's very nice. Where did you get that from?
    Non-SWG

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by UnderWaterVanya
    What are the criteria for you?
    I just want something accurate and durable.
    Non-SWG

6. Back To Top    #6

I had my deck redone and they messed up the lid and gave it to me. I later realized they gave it to me since the temp was WAY off, like 30 degrees or something too low. Finally, I figured out there was a nut on the back of the thermometer that allows you to adjust the needle, so I think it might be calibrated now.

You can find them on amazon, but they are kind of stupidly expensive ... $65-$80.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Bjarni
    Quote Originally Posted by UnderWaterVanya
    What are the criteria for you?
    I just want something accurate and durable.
    The one I got is durable - 8 and 12 year old and friends keep checking it. Accurate? Really hard to judge. It's not digital, it's fluid filled - I assume Alcohol based not Hg based due to the red color of the fluid. These are pretty accurate if the scale is properly applied but who can say.

I can tell you that 76 is the coolest we've seen and 84 the highest. Oddly 82 has felt colder than 78 depending on how our bodies felt and the outside air temps. I do not doubt the results were relatively accurate from an absolute temp perspective but I doubt that there is a need for true calibrated temps from a pool for my purposes.

8. Back To Top    #8

If you want accurate, you don't want a floater. The top 6" of my pool, and I suspect any pool, are quite different than the bulk of the water. I use a stainless Taylor that they don't make any more and hang it six feet down on the south side (i.e. in permanent shade.) It is at least 20 years old; every five years or so I take it apart and clean it.

It looks like this, but this is not a Taylor:

I replaced the cord with insulated 14ga. auto electric wire about 15 years ago. Nylon cord and chlorine don't mix.

The closest I can find now from Taylor is a plastic job for about $7. These are the same people that make our water testing supplies. They make great thermometers. I have one for inside/outside, one in the fridge, and an instant read digital meat thermometer for cooking roasts.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.

9. Back To Top    #9

I bought one from Walmart for a few dollars. It came with a removable float and thin rope. I took the float off, tied the rope to my safety rope anchor point, and let the thermometer hand a few feet down into the water. It is accurate enough for anything I use it for, which is mainly to read the delta created by aeration.
    19204 Gallon L Shape with a 10X10 2nd Step Baja Ledge. Intellichlor IC-40, IntellipH, Cartridge Filter, Pentair Heater/Chiller (Heat Pump). Tons of Deck with Deck Jets. Construction Complete 6/5/17.

"If you don't measure it, you can't manage it!"

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by elwood58
    I bought one from Walmart for a few dollars. It came with a removable float and thin rope. I took the float off, tied the rope to my safety rope anchor point, and let the thermometer hand a few feet down into the water. It is accurate enough for anything I use it for, which is mainly to read the delta created by aeration.
    The cheapo one from Ollies has a removable float - I may try that. Do you find the water below warmer or cooler?

11. Back To Top    #11

Pentair makes the skimmer lid therm.
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

12. Back To Top    #12

I bought one for $5 from big lots and it is
    wonderful. And accurate. it floats but I have it tied to the
    side of the pool.
    And you can see it on the website for big lots
    20 x 48 Intex Ultra Frame
    Sand filter with SWG attached.
    Deck added on (05/18/2013)
    Thinking about adding more deck
    Pool steps added in - (got rid of that crappy ladder that came with Intex pool) 05/18/2013.

"A little bit of paradise in our yard"

13. Back To Top    #13

My current one was about $7 at Lowes. It is on a rope and plastic, most importly it works.

Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by Bjarni View Post
    Hi all,

Thanks!
    My second accurite just crumped the same as my first one --each less than a year! I called accurite who told me they have discontinued this thermometer due to performance issues. I have read some reviews for a couple other wireless pool thermometers and they all seem to have a less than one year life span!
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir
    Intermatic P1353ME digital timer w/freeze sensor
    CircuPool Si-45 SWCG System
    Polaris 280 vacuum/Polaris PB4-60 boost pump
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3hp Pump--Pentair sand filter

15. Back To Top    #15

I already had a Davis weather station at my house so I simply added another sensor for the pool temp and hung it over the side about 3 feet down in the water (The sensor is waterproof). It is accurate to about 1/2 a degree.
    Last edited by jblizzle; 07-22-2014 at 06:51 PM. Reason: Removed link in violation of forum rules.