Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long to aerate?

How long to aerate?

Hi. I'm new to the forum and have appreciated all of the helpful advice and tips. I need to lower my TA and am going to try the aeration method I've read on this forum. Does anyone know how long you need to aerate to raise the PH? I have a 23,000 gallon plaster pool.
    23K Gunite IG Pool
    Waterway Crystal Water SVL56 Pump/1.5HP AO Smith Motor
    Hayward Star-Clear Plus Cartridge Filter C17502
    Aquarite 40k SWG
    Polaris 360

Senior Member In the Industry

John,

It depends on how much aeration you can create. More bubbles=faster process.

Impossible to predict....it's a pool by pool basis.

Remember to lower pH first.
    Dave S.
    Site Owner 42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter, No SWG
    TFTestkits owner
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

Thanks. I'll keep trying. So far I've blown air into the pool using a shop vac for 2hrs and the P hasn't gone up at all.
    23K Gunite IG Pool
    Aquarite 40k SWG
    Polaris 360

I turn the jets on in my spa and that creates lots of bubbles. If you have a spa don't forget to do that.
    15,500 gal, inground gunite pool with 7 ft spa, 2 speed pump 2hp/.33hp, 3/4 hp booster pump, Intermatic P1353 timer, AutoPilot SC-48, Sand filter with ZeoBest, Heater, that I never use . . .

For about $40, my local Home Depot has a floating fountain by Poolmaster. It connects to one of your return lines. Looks good and aerates your pool while the pump is running. Don't want to burn up the ol' shop vac.
    28,500 Gallon in ground.
    Custom color PebbleTec interior
    SwimClear quad cluster filter (C5020) filter
    Super II Pump (2hp)
    Hayward Navagitor
    Auto pool filler
    2 Sam Lites
    AquaDyne Control Panel
    Epoxy Overlay - Flagstone Deck

Great idea! It's shown here.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

I lowered my TA from 180 to 90 this week, just using a 1.5 HP well pump and a PVC manifold that has 3 threaded outlets for hooking up water hoses. I just left the hoses off and let the water shower back into the pool, while the intake side was rigged to suck water from near the bottom of the pool. Crude, but effective. It took 3 days and I had to keep adding acid to bring the ph back down to around 7. I only let the pump run overnight once. My wife was bothered by the noise so I just ran it during the day the last 2 days.

The ph would rise pretty quickly the first couple of days, with little change in the TA. I would use the pool calculator to determine how much acid to add to drop the ph to 7 and then let the pump aerate all day. By then end of day 3 the ph was back up to 7.4 and the TA had dropped to 90.
    26,000 Gallon Gunnite IGP
    2 HP Challenger High Head Pump
    60sf Nautilus DE filter
    Polaris 280

Yesterday I did this process. I lowered the pH to 6.8, and then ran the the spa (therapy jets). To go from pH 6.8 to 7.3 took 10 hours.
    7,500 gal, IG pool, L shape 22' x 15', 1.5 hp pump, cartridge filter, AquaPlus SWG/Controller, Pebble-Tec liner.

I built a sprayer from PVC with an adapter for half inch pipe. Put a cap on the pipe, used a 45 degree elbow for directional purposes, drilled three small holes in the cap then screwed the whole thing to one of the returns. Makes a fairly nice fountain too!
    20x40 30,000 gal IG Liner, Pentair II Sand, Kreepy
    Helpful Links: TF Test Kits; Pool School; Chlorine/CYA Chart; The Pool Calculator
    Wooooo Pig Sooooieee ... Razorbacks

I use what they call a jet air fitting. Works great with or without the solar cover on.

http://www.poolsupplies.com/cgi-bin/Com ... add=action

It replaces the eye ball in the return.
    Hotrod30

20 X 40 foot vinyl Borates and Salt Pool
    Rolachem Chlorine Feeder
    Hayward 27 inch sand filter with 80 lbs of pea gravel
    Jacuzzi Splash Pak SP55 DE filter in parallel
    Pentair VF3050 pump

This sticky might be useful.

The sticky waterbear posted above outlines the procedure for lowering TA, but I want to throw in my recent personal experience.

The likelihood is that you will not see any progress in two hours. The amount of time it takes to lower your TA is a function of many different variables:

1. The size/volume of your pool
    2. How effective your aeration method is
    3. How consistently you are lowering the PH in response to rises in PH as the TA comes down

I have been fighting a very high TA in my 24' AG (approx 13,500 gal) for the past few days. Last Wednesday (5 days ago), I took my initial reading of TA at 300ppm. I have been aerating by pointing my return eyeball up to cause a strong ripple effect on the surface of the water. The pump has been running 24/7 since then, and as of this morning I have a TA of 180ppm. During this entire process, I have been checkin my PH twice per day. Each time I checked it, the reading was over 8 (which is a sign that the aeration is working). After each test, I would use the pool calculator to calculate how much acid I needed to add to lower PH to 7.0, and add acid accordingly.

So in 5 days, I've managed to lower my TA from 300 to 180, and in the process consumed just over 2 gallons of muriatic acid. The most important thing I can recommend is to keep retesting your PH at least every 12 hours during aeration process. The more often you recorrect your PH down to 7.0, the faster the process will be. If you have to keep adding acid to keep the PH down, you know its working. Don’t expect to see instant results; it’s a long and tedious process.
    30k gallon inground with vinyl liner
    Hayward cartridge filter
    Southcentral PA

I just recently brought mine from 180 down to 60. My observations.

1. My ph would go from 7.0 to 7.2 really fast, then would slow down from 7.2 onward. I started checking my PH every 3-4 hours and when it hit 7.2 I would add enough acid to get it back to 7.0. This significantly sped things up for me, not sure if there is any science to back it up.

2. Aeration for the first portion, about 48 hours, I ran my pump so that the waterfall was running and the slide was running. This worked OK, but when I figured out that I should turn on my spa jets, that was like a turbo boost. I definitely saw a vast improvement after turning on the spa jets.

My total outlay of acid was ~4 gallons I believe. It matched chem geeks pool equations spreadsheet pretty closely.

I did get it down to 60 for a week, it is now back up to 80. I have a mystery pool that has a continually increasing TA, but that is another story. . .
    15,500 gal, inground gunite pool with 7 ft spa, 2 speed pump 2hp/.33hp, 3/4 hp booster pump, Intermatic P1353 timer, AutoPilot SC-48, Sand filter with ZeoBest, Heater, that I never use . . .

Quote Originally Posted by lovingHDTV
    1. My ph would go from 7.0 to 7.2 really fast, then would slow down from 7.2 onward. I started checking my PH every 3-4 hours and when it hit 7.2 I would add enough acid to get it back to 7.0. This significantly sped things up for me, not sure if there is any science to back it up.
    The science behind it is shown in this chart where you can see that a lower pH makes a HUGE difference in the rate of outgassing. The effect of pH and also TA on the outgassing rate may be even more than shown on the chart due to some effects I've just been reading about in a book of pool water chemistry articles I recently received. At some point, I'll incorporate some of the concepts into my spreadsheet and update the chart and post the results in the Advanced Chemistry section.

Richard
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

Thanks for the great ideas and comments

Quote Originally Posted by Hotrod30
    I use what they call a jet air fitting. Works great with or without the solar cover on.

http://www.poolsupplies.com/cgi-bin/Com ... add=action

It replaces the eye ball in the return.
    Thanks to all who have posted for the great ideas and comments. This airjet fitting may do the trick. I don't have a spa or jets that can be turned up to aerate the pool. But, I do have a Polaris water fountain that I hook up to my pool cleaner return. However, I have been using that on a limited basis during the day because it's still relatively cold here in PA and I want to keep the solar cover on the pool to retain the water temp.

Thanks again

23K Gunite IG Pool
    Aquarite 40k SWG
    Polaris 360

Quote Originally Posted by chem geek
    Quote Originally Posted by lovingHDTV
    The science behind it is shown in this chart where you can see that a lower pH makes a HUGE difference in the rate of outgassing. The effect of pH and also TA on the outgassing rate may be even more than shown on the chart due to some effects I've just been reading about in a book of pool water chemistry articles I recently received. At some point, I'll incorporate some of the concepts into my spreadsheet and update the chart and post the results in the Advanced Chemistry section.

Richard
    Good I wasn't imagining things then.

Maybe I'm missing something, but why bother lower your TA? Mine is 130 and my PH is stuck right between 7.2 and 7.4 without adding acid. Then again, I have a very old plaster job.

Quote Originally Posted by piku
    why bother lower your TA?
    High TA levels combined with aeration will tend to raise the PH. Perhaps you don't have much aeration.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    TFP Admin. Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

Quote Originally Posted by piku
    Maybe I'm missing something, but why bother lower your TA? Mine is 130 and my PH is stuck right between 7.2 and 7.4 without adding acid. Then again, I have a very old plaster job.
    I have a high CH that I manage by keeping a low TA. A lower TA also lower my acid demand.

I have been working on the same situation for 8 days now. I started at pH 7.6-7.8 and TA 210. This AM I had pH 7.0 and TA 110. I have had my pool uncovered approx 15 hours per day with the return jets (3) pointing up and the spa blower or jet pump on. As soon as the pH is 7.2 I add another gal. of muratic acid (10 gal. and counting).

Shouldn't there be a jug of TA down that would make this process much faster?
    58,800 gal gunite INDOOR pool w/ spa
    automatic cover
    Jandy "stuff" - pumps, cartridge filter, aqua link
    CAT Controller 4000
    Stenner 30 gal (bleach) and 15 gal (acid)
    Puck chlorinator and Nature 2- gone
    Hi-Z Heater - natural gas