Test Kits

RH60

Jul 12, 2012
Richmond, Va.
Whats simple test kits that can measure chlorine above 5.0 so don’t have to use the dilution test. Like the cheap chlorine and PH test kits.
Do they make such a thing?

This is what I need the most and have only had a problem like recently every 4 years. Average a problem every 4 years out of the past 25 years with a pool.
So then I can just take to the pool store to test if needed.
Also by that most of the testing chemicals are stale and need to be replaced anyway.

I am asking because I just got in the recommended Taylor K-2006.
Figured I would open it and try a quick chlorine and ph test.
For the chlorine test it’s something like 7 steps and I cant even get past the first one.

1. Use 1 drop- 0.2 ppm, use 25 ml sample. For 1 drop – 0.5 ppm use 10 ml sample.

Few minutes scanning thru the instruction book and cant see that it explains which sample I should use 25 ml or 10 ml.

Anyway needless to say this kit is not for me.
7 steps listed just to check chlorine and it does not even explain the first one good.

Terrible instruction manual. 50 pages. Tells you all about what chlorine is. But not how to test it.

Will just wait until I every have to spend the time with a kit like this.
If the basic kit does find and only need something every 4 years and then have to replace the testing chemicals I don’t need. As long as don’t start having more problems.

If the pool is clear I don’t need to spend more time testing than I do on other pool maintenance.

May end up keeping it just to measure CYA, which seems easy enough and don’t need to do often.

But would still like something else instead of the dilution method for chlorine with the basic kits.

Simple instruction are

10ml pool water
1 heaping scoop powder
Add drops of r-0871 1 at a time counting as you go
When turns clear (no pink at all)
Take number of drops divide by 2
That is your fc
Then add 5 drops r-
0003 if remains clear cc=0
Then add drops 1 at a time againe
That is you cc

Looks like a lot in writing but once you do it once you should find it as easy as the simple Ito test

It may take a little while to learn to be proficient with the FAS-DPD test, but the time will be well spent. No other test is able to match it's precision or range, both of which are handy all the time, and important if you are shocking the pool.

imwarren said:
Simple instruction are

10ml pool water
1 heaping scoop powder
Add drops of r-0871 1 at a time counting as you go
When turns clear (no pink at all)
That is your fc
Then add 5 drops r-
0003 if remains clear cc=0
Then add drops 1 at a time againe
That is you cc

Looks like a lot in writing but once you do it once you should find it as easy as the simple Ito test

Taylor info saids to use 2 scoops of the powder even if 10 ML
Am I misunderstanding something.
Thanks again

Taylor says two level spoons, our directions are one heaping spoon. The quantity used should be the same either way. When in doubt, use too much power instead of too little. Extra powder doesn't interfere, while too little can cause problems.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.