Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Test Kits

1. Back To Top    #1

Test Kits

Whats simple test kits that can measure chlorine above 5.0 so donít have to use the dilution test. Like the cheap chlorine and PH test kits.
    Do they make such a thing?

This is what I need the most and have only had a problem like recently every 4 years. Average a problem every 4 years out of the past 25 years with a pool.
    So then I can just take to the pool store to test if needed.
    Also by that most of the testing chemicals are stale and need to be replaced anyway.

I am asking because I just got in the recommended Taylor K-2006.
    Figured I would open it and try a quick chlorine and ph test.
    For the chlorine test itís something like 7 steps and I cant even get past the first one.

1. Use 1 drop- 0.2 ppm, use 25 ml sample. For 1 drop Ė 0.5 ppm use 10 ml sample.

Few minutes scanning thru the instruction book and cant see that it explains which sample I should use 25 ml or 10 ml.

Anyway needless to say this kit is not for me.
    7 steps listed just to check chlorine and it does not even explain the first one good.

Terrible instruction manual. 50 pages. Tells you all about what chlorine is. But not how to test it.

Will just wait until I every have to spend the time with a kit like this.
    If the basic kit does find and only need something every 4 years and then have to replace the testing chemicals I donít need. As long as donít start having more problems.

If the pool is clear I donít need to spend more time testing than I do on other pool maintenance.

May end up keeping it just to measure CYA, which seems easy enough and donít need to do often.

But would still like something else instead of the dilution method for chlorine with the basic kits.
    6014 gallons aprx
    cartridge type filter
    summer escapes pool above ground metal frame
    SFS1000 SkimmerPlus filter pump with GFCI=1,500 GPH
    install date: 6-1-12

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Test Kits

Use the 10ml one for normal testing. I suggest reading this thread: extended-test-kit-directions-t25081.html It explains everything pretty well.
    11,700 gallon 21' round 54" deep all-resin AGP - June 2012
    Waterway 1HP 2-speed pump / 100 sq ft cartridge filter
    Hayward 150,000btu Natural Gas heater
    I use and recommend the TF-100 for testing

3. Back To Top    #3

Simple instruction are

10ml pool water
    1 heaping scoop powder
    Add drops of r-0871 1 at a time counting as you go
    When turns clear (no pink at all)
    Take number of drops divide by 2
    That is your fc
    Then add 5 drops r-
    0003 if remains clear cc=0
    Then add drops 1 at a time againe
    That is you cc

Looks like a lot in writing but once you do it once you should find it as easy as the simple Ito test
    24' 52" Above Ground
    BBB
    LOVE TFP
    TF Test kits, Pool School, Pool Calculator

4. Back To Top    #4

It may take a little while to learn to be proficient with the FAS-DPD test, but the time will be well spent. No other test is able to match it's precision or range, both of which are handy all the time, and important if you are shocking the pool.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

If you don't have a speed-stir, you need to swirl the mixture after each drop, so you know which drop caused the change.
    29,000 gallon, 18' x 44' Indoor plaster pool - 8'x'8 spa in corner. Well water, TF-100,
    pool cover, Pentair MasterTemp 400k btu heater, Jandy RS-4, 4 x 105 sq ft cartridge filters,
    Wisperflow WFE-4 1.0 HP pump for pool, WFE-6 1.5 HP pump for spa jets, MagnaSweep.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by imwarren
    Simple instruction are

10ml pool water
    1 heaping scoop powder
    When turns clear (no pink at all)
    That is your fc
    Then add 5 drops r-
    0003 if remains clear cc=0
    Then add drops 1 at a time againe
    That is you cc

Looks like a lot in writing but once you do it once you should find it as easy as the simple Ito test

Taylor info saids to use 2 scoops of the powder even if 10 ML
    Am I misunderstanding something.
    Thanks again
    6014 gallons aprx
    cartridge type filter
    summer escapes pool above ground metal frame
    SFS1000 SkimmerPlus filter pump with GFCI=1,500 GPH
    install date: 6-1-12

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by rayh78
    Taylor info saids to use 2 scoops of the powder even if 10 ML
    Am I misunderstanding something.
    Thanks again
    Taylor wants to sell you more reagents

If you see a couple of undissolved granules in the mix, you've got enough powder.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

8. Back To Top    #8

Taylor says two level spoons, our directions are one heaping spoon. The quantity used should be the same either way. When in doubt, use too much power instead of too little. Extra powder doesn't interfere, while too little can cause problems.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School