Dead algae or undissolved chemical?

nak

Jul 17, 2012
Toronto, Canada
I've been working on turning my algae into a sparkling oasis... been shocking and brushing for a few days now. The water is clear (see through, no green or cloudy) by the end of the day but with grey dusty/dirty stuff on the bottom. When I brush it all up in the evening the water gets all cloudy again.

How do I know if it is dead algae or undissolved shock? I've been using calcium hypochlorite (yes, I know I shouldn't be but I am for the moment). I don't want to vacuum it out if it's actually chemical doing its business.

My test kit is on its way here so I can't do an overnight test or anything to check FC accurately at the moment.

(yes, I know I shouldn't be but I am for the moment). I don't want to vacuum it out if it's actually chemical doing its business.
Well, if you know you shouldn't be, then you really shouldn't be. Cal Hypo, left on a vinyl liner will bleach out the liner in many. many cases. I suggest you vacuum it into your filter ASAP

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.