I've been working on turning my algae into a sparkling oasis... been shocking and brushing for a few days now. The water is clear (see through, no green or cloudy) by the end of the day but with grey dusty/dirty stuff on the bottom. When I brush it all up in the evening the water gets all cloudy again.
How do I know if it is dead algae or undissolved shock? I've been using calcium hypochlorite (yes, I know I shouldn't be but I am for the moment). I don't want to vacuum it out if it's actually chemical doing its business.
My test kit is on its way here so I can't do an overnight test or anything to check FC accurately at the moment.