Got my remodel quotes and looking to get some feedback

dravenone

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 25, 2009
Glendora, California
So I'm planning to go Pebble Sheen and had a couple installers come out to quote me on, refinish, tile and possibly coping. The bids are in and I had a couple questions based on what I was told and the 2 installers conflicting. Currenlty, I'm leaning towards installer 2 who I have found positive reviews for online and on gardenweb.

Question 1 - Coping
Installer 1 told me not to worry about my concrete coping (to be clear, the deck is not the coping). Told me how to check for loose coping "when I'm bored" and they can reset them for like $15-$20 each. Installer 2 bothered to check my coping and about half of them made the hollow sound when he tapped them. I asked if there is any problem if I did not fix or replace the coping and he said that should the coping settle, it could crack the tile. Any truth to this? The price to reseat compared to replace them all makes me lean towards replacing. I'm also of a mindset to might as well do everything at once, but I want to know if he was blowing smoke.

Question 2 - Start up
Installer 1 includes a 3 day startup (valued at $450), Installer 2 does not. I'm still researching how to perform startup for Pebble and will open another thread for that once I think I understand what how to do it. I would also take time off from work to be home and perform the startup if I go with Installer 2. My question is, should I be concerend about an installer (Pebble in particular) that does not perform startup? They said they have instructions which I plan to ask for before making a decision. Initially I thought this was a big deal, but the more I thought about it, I figured if I educate myself I would probably do a better more thorough job than whoever installer 1 would send over.

Thanks in advance

When we had our Pebble Sheen installed we HAD to pay like $250+ for some company to do the start-up to validate the warranty (at the time I was kind of ignorant and did not push the matter). Anyway, my wife I think saw the guy 1 time in the 3 days ... that is not to say he didn't do more, but YOU have a vested interest and will likely keep an eye on things MUCH more closely than some random 3rd party.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.