What Does Algae Look Like?

crokett

Jul 17, 2007
Hillsborough, NC
I have some stuff in the bottom of my pool. It could be sand, it could just be dirt, it could be stuff falling off trees. It could also be algae. It certainly isn't bad, there are spots here and there. it is easily kept under control with vacuuming once a week. Testing shows FC at 2-3 consistently but CC is 0. I test in the AM, the SWG stops around 4:00 PM the day before the test. Should I be worried? Should I have the SWG run longer? I forgot to add that the water is crystal clear.

Current numbers:

FC 3
CC 0
pH 7.6
TA 80
CYA 70

Well, to see if it is algae, you can try to capture some and see how it feels. If it feels slimy, it is algae. Sand/dirt feel gritty and pollen feels squishy.

You are running your FC low. With SWG & CYA of 70, you should keep FC between 3 and 5 and never below 3.

You can do an OCLT to determine the presence of organics.

It's been a few days, I've been busy. The pool passed 2 OCLTs done a few days apart, so I don't think this is algae, or if it is I can keep it under control with vacuuming. I am going to increase the pump run-time and increase the SWG run time as soon as a I get a chance. For now I have been putting in some bleach.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.