Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What Does Algae Look Like?

1. Back To Top    #1

What Does Algae Look Like?

I have some stuff in the bottom of my pool. It could be sand, it could just be dirt, it could be stuff falling off trees. It could also be algae. It certainly isn't bad, there are spots here and there. it is easily kept under control with vacuuming once a week. Testing shows FC at 2-3 consistently but CC is 0. I test in the AM, the SWG stops around 4:00 PM the day before the test. Should I be worried? Should I have the SWG run longer? I forgot to add that the water is crystal clear.

Current numbers:

FC 3
    CC 0
    pH 7.6
    TA 80
    CYA 70
    27' Round Might Sun AG Pool 18000 Gallon Intex Krystal Clear SWG Hayward Pump/Filter on a Timer

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What Does Algae Look Like?

Well, to see if it is algae, you can try to capture some and see how it feels. If it feels slimy, it is algae. Sand/dirt feel gritty and pollen feels squishy.

You are running your FC low. With SWG & CYA of 70, you should keep FC between 3 and 5 and never below 3.

You can do an OCLT to determine the presence of organics.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: What Does Algae Look Like?

It's been a few days, I've been busy. The pool passed 2 OCLTs done a few days apart, so I don't think this is algae, or if it is I can keep it under control with vacuuming. I am going to increase the pump run-time and increase the SWG run time as soon as a I get a chance. For now I have been putting in some bleach.
    27' Round Might Sun AG Pool 18000 Gallon Intex Krystal Clear SWG Hayward Pump/Filter on a Timer