Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool and sprinklers and pumps

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool and sprinklers and pumps

Hi all. Lots of good info here. It really helped in getting my 15'x42 set up.

There's a few things I was wondering about those with a long history with these setups.

Obviously the pool is made for the outdoors and should withstand all sorts of conditions. But I was wondering if anyone has seen any extraordinary negative impact from running lawn sprinklers that surround the pool on a regular basis. I'm in SoCal, so no watering = dead grass.

And related to that, is there any reason to think the sprinklers would wreak havoc on the pump and saltwater system?

And, and... do most folks just keep their pump/saltwater system on the ground or is there a benefit (or negative impact) to placing them on a small platform a few inches off the ground.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool and sprinklers and pumps

My pump is on a little stand that it came with (no SWG for me though) but when we winterize it in the fall we are building a nice little "patio" out of pavers for it next year so it doesn't look at bad (running the weedwacker around it all is hard to make look good). No no negative impact of having it boosted up a little. Sprinklers should be no problem as well.
    11,700 gallon 21' round 54" deep all-resin AGP - June 2012
    Waterway 1HP 2-speed pump / 100 sq ft cartridge filter
    Hayward 150,000btu Natural Gas heater
    I use and recommend the TF-100 for testing

3. Back To Top    #3
    Sun City West Arizona (2nd Home)

make sure the sprinklers are not turned up high enough for the water to enter the pool. It will make balancing a royal pain. Putting the gear on a small platform is not an issue, it will just not work if positioned above the water level of the pool, as the pump is little on the weak side.
    14100 Gal IG MiniPebble, Pentair Intellichlor IC-40 SWG, Sand Filter, Pop Up Cleaning, Intelliflo VS Pump, Aquacal Heatpump/Chiller, 1/4 Acre Desert Landscaped, Lots of Deck. Built in 1984, updated in 2012 and 2014
    "If you don't measure it, you can't manage it!"

4. Back To Top    #4
    South Chicago burbs

"negative impact from running lawn sprinklers that surround the pool on a regular basis."

If you have the sprinkers close enough to the pool that the water is hitting the sides and running down, I'd make sure I had good drainage away from the pool. You may wind up washing out sand (creating soft spots) under you pool otherwise.

Best of luck.

8500 gal. (15'x24') Zodiac AG, Hayward Perflex DE filter system w/ 1 hp pump,
    Nature2 sanitizer, Rheem105K BTU NG Heater
    TF-100 + Oakton pHTestr 30