Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New AGP / Building Deck Question

1. Back To Top    #1

New AGP / Building Deck Question

This is our first pool and we have recently had a 18' pool installed and starting to plan a deck on one side of it. Question is should the deck go to the edge of the pool, overlap the trim piece, or leave an inch or so beween the deck and pool edge for a winter cover?

I was thinking of having the clips (or whatever they call them) like the inground pool to clip the winter cover onto the deck..
    8000 Gallon 18' Round 52" Deep Morada Pool (Namco) DE Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New AGP / Building Deck Question

That's strictly a personal choice. If you search around here you'll find it done all ways. I personally put mine under the rail with about 1/8" gap so I can get the winter cover under it. Other people have put the deck over the rails.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

I have been looking around, so I figured I would post the question. I was thinking of leaving a little gap. It seems the best thing to do.
    8000 Gallon 18' Round 52" Deep Morada Pool (Namco) DE Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

Your location has a lot to do with it, if you have hard winters I'd leave an inch or so gap so you can get a cover thru, it also gives you some wiggle room in case your deck moves/heaves a a bit.
    On my pool/deck I left about a 1 inch gap and it has not been an issue in terms of toes getting caught or tripping, etc.
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

5. Back To Top    #5

I built mine 1/2 inch below the lowest point of my top seat. It's just a little deck in the back corner but you can see what it look like here. It's not 100% finished yet. My other deck is 36 inches lower than this one.

-- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100