Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Using Toilet Bleach Tabs in place of Chlorine Tablets

1. Back To Top    #1

Using Toilet Bleach Tabs in place of Chlorine Tablets

I just adopted the BBB method and am loving it so far. My question is for continuous bleaching, especially if away from home for a while, could one use the bleach tabs sold in most stores that you drop in a toilet? And just to be clear, I'm not talking about the blue (dye) ones, just the pure bleach ones.

As far as I can tell, their only ingredient is Bromochloro-5,5-dimethylhydantoin. I'm no chemist, so I don't know how this ingredient will interact with other chemicals (bleach, baking soda, borax) or human skin/hair. And I don't know if it has a by-product like CYA, salt, or similar.

Thanks in advance.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Antelope, CA

Re: Using Toilet Bleach Tabs in place of Chlorine Tablets

You can buy the pool trichlor tabs at WM and other store as singles, each are individually wrapped. I am sue the shelf life is long enough for you needs. A simple floater would be fine.

It looked the the other tab is bromine based.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

3. Back To Top    #3

I don't want to use the chlorine (trichlor) tablets anymore because of the CYA residue. That's why I was looking for a bleach alternative. I don't know what by-products bromine gives off or if it can safely be mixed with bleach.

4. Back To Top    #4

Bromine's main drawback is expense. It's found a nice niche in spas because it is more stable than chlorine at high temps. Bromine pools are nice, but it's a very expensive way to sanitize a pool. Our pool at the old house was bromine. It was very nice, but bromine has gone up in price even more since then.
    11,700 gallon 21' round 54" deep all-resin AGP - June 2012
    Waterway 1HP 2-speed pump / 100 sq ft cartridge filter
    Hayward 150,000btu Natural Gas heater
    I use and recommend the TF-100 for testing

5. Back To Top    #5
    Portland, Oregon

Do you have any room to move on the cya?? Would 10ppm break the pool? If so, what abou hiring a neighbor kid to come dose the pool every evening?
    Where kids swim in 54 degree water, turn blue, and giggle happily cuz they got a POOL!
    Year 3 BBB -15' x 48" Intex Metal Frame - Was using (2) 1000gph Intex cartridge filters (see Full time pumping Intex). 2012, converted to 1600gph and sand filter+SWG = Sand filter love affair!
    Don't waste time and energy looking for a better value on test kits, the TF100 is the best deal around. I did the looking and spent the extra money, but you don't have to make the same mistake. Just go here: TFTestkits. I use Pool Calculator for min/max, and shocking chlorine levels.