Want to learn more about BBB method

Jul 18, 2012
Hello, I was referred to this site by a friend. I live in Lynchburg, VA. My pool is 25,000 gallons, below ground, built in the early 80's. It has a vinyl liner, 1hp pump with 3450 rpm and 56j FR. It has a sand filter and the water is clear right now. I am interested in the BBB method to save money. My test results are as follows, TH, TC, FC, BR, stabilizer, are all very low. The ph is 7.2. I have been using chlorine tablets and powder shock and baking soda. I need advice on how to treat my pool. Thanks, Jared

Hi, welcome to TFP! In order to help you we need to know the actual test results. Just saying they are very low doesn't give us enough information and most of the advice we give is based off of test results. If the tablets and shock you use are dichlore/trichlor then your CYA may be much higher than you think. Do you have a test kit or do you use strips?

We need numbers for your chemical levels! The first step is to get a reliable test kit that you can use to test yourself. By FAR the most recommended kit here is the TF-100 kit at tftestkits.net, but any of the kits they sell work. You need to read pool school as well. The link is in the top right of this site, a big button that says POOL SCHOOL. Read it all, twice! That will give you a lot of knowledge.

And remember, BBB is more about the knowledge than the chemicals. It's nice to know what is going into your pool (and be able to mix and match your BBB knowledge with pool store stuff). For example, I use "PH Increaser" right now. Sure I know its Sodium Carbonate, but I got a good deal. But because of BBB, I was able to test myself and figure out, "oh, my PH needs a bump up" and was able to select the right chemical easily without having to go through a chemical sales pitch. Without BBB and TFP, I'd be getting my water tested at a store and dumping PhosFree in my pool all day.

I am interested in the BBB method to save money
Don't do it for that reason. You will likely save money as sort of a side effect but the reason to learn BBB is because you want to be in control of your own pool.

If that is what you want to do, then read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School as a start and continue to read the other articles.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.