Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Want to learn more about BBB method

1. Back To Top    #1

Want to learn more about BBB method

Hello, I was referred to this site by a friend. I live in Lynchburg, VA. My pool is 25,000 gallons, below ground, built in the early 80's. It has a vinyl liner, 1hp pump with 3450 rpm and 56j FR. It has a sand filter and the water is clear right now. I am interested in the BBB method to save money. My test results are as follows, TH, TC, FC, BR, stabilizer, are all very low. The ph is 7.2. I have been using chlorine tablets and powder shock and baking soda. I need advice on how to treat my pool. Thanks, Jared

2. Back To Top    #2
    Houston, Texas

Re: Want to learn more about BBB method

Hi, welcome to TFP! In order to help you we need to know the actual test results. Just saying they are very low doesn't give us enough information and most of the advice we give is based off of test results. If the tablets and shock you use are dichlore/trichlor then your CYA may be much higher than you think. Do you have a test kit or do you use strips?
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

We need numbers for your chemical levels! The first step is to get a reliable test kit that you can use to test yourself. By FAR the most recommended kit here is the TF-100 kit at, but any of the kits they sell work. You need to read pool school as well. The link is in the top right of this site, a big button that says POOL SCHOOL. Read it all, twice! That will give you a lot of knowledge.

And remember, BBB is more about the knowledge than the chemicals. It's nice to know what is going into your pool (and be able to mix and match your BBB knowledge with pool store stuff). For example, I use "PH Increaser" right now. Sure I know its Sodium Carbonate, but I got a good deal. But because of BBB, I was able to test myself and figure out, "oh, my PH needs a bump up" and was able to select the right chemical easily without having to go through a chemical sales pitch. Without BBB and TFP, I'd be getting my water tested at a store and dumping PhosFree in my pool all day.
    11,700 gallon 21' round 54" deep all-resin AGP - June 2012
    Waterway 1HP 2-speed pump / 100 sq ft cartridge filter
    Hayward 150,000btu Natural Gas heater
    I use and recommend the TF-100 for testing

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

I am interested in the BBB method to save money
    Don't do it for that reason. You will likely save money as sort of a side effect but the reason to learn BBB is because you want to be in control of your own pool.

If that is what you want to do, then read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School as a start and continue to read the other articles.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School