FC Test (diluted)

May 22, 2012
Just curious...I always use the diluted method to check my FC level because I have a higher CYA Level and keep my FC pretty high-this saves me on drops. I use 1/2 pool water and 1/2 distilled water. I ran out of distilled so I used water that I was going to dump from my de-humidifyer for the test. No cholrine in it so I thought it would be fine. When I did the test the water turned light pink, not the usual dark pink. I did the test using all pool water and it was it's normal dark pink color. Why would the water from the de-humidifyer skew the result? Now I know not to use de-humidifyer water.

I'd guess the water from the dehumidifier was dirty and the chlorine was attacking the growth that was living in it. I've gotta pour a tad bit of bleach into our dehumidifier all the time, or the bottom becomes full of slime.

Now I know not to use de-humidifyer water.
Bazinga! :mrgreen:

Why not test your tap water for chlorine at 100% and then subtract that amount when you dilute your pool water (with tap water)

That dilution method you are using is far more inaccurate than whatever skew the tap water would give you....even if you don't subtract for it.

I think I will use bottled water and not worried about distilled. Could probably use my tap (well water)-no chlorine I'm sure.
BTW- I started BBB in May after 2 nightmare years of HIGH CYA and pool store "suggestions" AKA $$$$$$- after a partial drain and TFP help my pool has never been better or easier! I open my cover in the morning and know it's going to be clear instead of crossing my fingers and toes and hoping for the best! LOVE IT!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.