Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: FC Test (diluted)

1. Back To Top    #1

FC Test (diluted)

Just curious...I always use the diluted method to check my FC level because I have a higher CYA Level and keep my FC pretty high-this saves me on drops. I use 1/2 pool water and 1/2 distilled water. I ran out of distilled so I used water that I was going to dump from my de-humidifyer for the test. No cholrine in it so I thought it would be fine. When I did the test the water turned light pink, not the usual dark pink. I did the test using all pool water and it was it's normal dark pink color. Why would the water from the de-humidifyer skew the result? Now I know not to use de-humidifyer water.
    Kris
    In ground 26,000 gal. 16x36 Avg depth-6'
    Vinyl
    sand filter used 24/7
    auto cover
    Elgin/Illinois

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: FC Test (diluted)

Were both test results the same or nearly the same? If not the dehumidifier water probably was contaminated and ate up some of the pool water Chlorine.
    Bill
    18'X4' 7600 Gal AG
    3/4 HP Pentair Pump
    Hayward S166T 100 lb sand filter

3. Back To Top    #3

I'd guess the water from the dehumidifier was dirty and the chlorine was attacking the growth that was living in it. I've gotta pour a tad bit of bleach into our dehumidifier all the time, or the bottom becomes full of slime.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Now I know not to use de-humidifyer water.
    Bazinga!

Why not test your tap water for chlorine at 100% and then subtract that amount when you dilute your pool water (with tap water)

That dilution method you are using is far more inaccurate than whatever skew the tap water would give you....even if you don't subtract for it.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

I'd just use bottled water. They add calcium and stuff back for taste, but I'm pretty sure it's chlorine-free.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

I think I will use bottled water and not worried about distilled. Could probably use my tap (well water)-no chlorine I'm sure.
    BTW- I started BBB in May after 2 nightmare years of HIGH CYA and pool store "suggestions" AKA $$$$$$- after a partial drain and TFP help my pool has never been better or easier! I open my cover in the morning and know it's going to be clear instead of crossing my fingers and toes and hoping for the best! LOVE IT!!
    Kris
    In ground 26,000 gal. 16x36 Avg depth-6'
    Vinyl
    sand filter used 24/7
    auto cover
    Elgin/Illinois