Rusty water

Jul 15, 2012
Toulon, Illinois
OK, I need advice. Our local fire department is the one filling our pool because we live 8 miles from the nearest town. The water they brought looks rusty(very orange). The pool is 2/3 the way full and they will be bringing the last load of water out tomorrow some time. I have ordered a test kit but for now I'm using the cheap one from WalMart. I've read pool school a couple times and as soon as I post this I'm going back to reread it AGAIN.

Much of the rust will be in the form of iron dust, which the filter will catch. Run the filter 24/7 until the water clears up and backwash every day or two while the water is clearing up so the rust doesn't sit in the filter slowly dissolving into the water for too long.

I would stick to the recommendations in the Pool School article linked above (although I do not know what is in the Metal Magnet):

Sequestrants based on HEDP, phosphonic acid, or phosphonic acid derivatives are the most effective. ProTeam's Metal Magic and Jack's Magic The Pink Stuff (regular), The Blue Stuff (fresh plaster), and The Purple Stuff (salt) are some of the top sequestrants. You can also find many other brands with similar active ingredients, some of which are noticeably less expensive.

SadieBailey said:
I took water to pool store to have water tested and they suggested bioguard metal magnet. It's about $19 for a quart. Whats the thoughts on this product?
That appears to be a sequestrant, but not one of the one's we recommend. I would not add a sequestrant yet, since doing so will may cause the stuff JL called "iron dust" to go into solution quicker...therefore remaining hidden in your pool water. For now, if you are able to filter the orange out (and you will know when you backwash by the color), just keep filtering 24/7 for now.

If that does not take care of the problem then you can look at using a sequestrant. See the pool school article mentioned above for recommended sequestrants.

Can you see it on the bottom?

When you get your pool full, the first thing you might want to do is vacuuming that stuff on the bottom to waste.

Is the "green" water a transparent green or a cloudy green?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You could add a bottle of bleach and brush the pool really well to mix it in ... might slow down the algae growth, but it will be hard to follow the shock process until the filter is running and you have the FAS-DPD test.

Edit: given your 9000 gallon pool size ... you may want to stick with about 90oz or so at a time so that FC is not too high with zero CYA in the water.

I went out and took a picture of pool water. In the picture it is showing up as more orange now than green. I'm sorry I keep posting but I'm driving myself crazy trying to figure out things to do while I wait for another load of water. Once that is here I will be hooking pump and fliter up.[attachment=0:1f19elqa]071912150253.jpg[/attachment:1f19elqa]

Attachments

• 071912150253.jpg
    071912150253.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 66
Wow. Is the last truck scheduled to come soon? Hopefully it is, the faster you start filtering the easier it will be to clean up.

I would put bleach in and brush to mix. That will hopefully prevent algae until you can get the filter started up.

I have never done it, but you would first have to figure out a way to keep the suction hose end under the water (tie a weight to it?) and not to get stuck to the pool surface.

How does it attach to the pump? I was thinking you could fill the hose with water in the pool, cover the end with your hand and shove it into the pump, but I am not sure how the connections work. You may be able to connect the hose and then fill the pump basket with water and close it up?

I am just grasping at straws :mrgreen:

jblizzle said:
I have never done it, but you would first have to figure out a way to keep the suction hose end under the water (tie a weight to it?) and not to get stuck to the pool surface.
Not that I would know this :wink: ...but I just use my vacuum hose with weighted vacuum head that I put in my deep end. The other end of my hose gets attaced to a temporary barb fitting that I attach to the input of my pump. Seems to be working really well right now...not that I would know that :wink:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.