Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rusty water

1. Back To Top    #1

Rusty water

OK, I need advice. Our local fire department is the one filling our pool because we live 8 miles from the nearest town. The water they brought looks rusty(very orange). The pool is 2/3 the way full and they will be bringing the last load of water out tomorrow some time. I have ordered a test kit but for now I'm using the cheap one from WalMart. I've read pool school a couple times and as soon as I post this I'm going back to reread it AGAIN.
    21 foot by 4 foot AGP, Jacuzzi Laser 192 sand filter, Hayward 1 HP pump, approx. 9100 gallons, install 7/15-7/17/2012

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Rusty water

You will need sequestrant. pool-school/metal%20stains I suggest you try the search box for "iron" or "rust" and read what others have done regarding filters, paper towels in the skimmer, and so on.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Richard, When I seen the rusty water in my pool on my new liner I wanted to cry. I've sunk so much money into this already that it makes me ill thinking about having to buy more chemicals to straighten out something I couldn't control.
    21 foot by 4 foot AGP, Jacuzzi Laser 192 sand filter, Hayward 1 HP pump, approx. 9100 gallons, install 7/15-7/17/2012

4. Back To Top    #4

Much of the rust will be in the form of iron dust, which the filter will catch. Run the filter 24/7 until the water clears up and backwash every day or two while the water is clearing up so the rust doesn't sit in the filter slowly dissolving into the water for too long.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

I took water to pool store to have water tested and they suggested bioguard metal magnet. It's about $19 for a quart. Whats the thoughts on this product?

6. Back To Top    #6

I would stick to the recommendations in the Pool School article linked above (although I do not know what is in the Metal Magnet):

Sequestrants based on HEDP, phosphonic acid, or phosphonic acid derivatives are the most effective. ProTeam's Metal Magic and Jack's Magic The Pink Stuff (regular), The Blue Stuff (fresh plaster), and The Purple Stuff (salt) are some of the top sequestrants. You can also find many other brands with similar active ingredients, some of which are noticeably less expensive.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by SadieBailey
    I took water to pool store to have water tested and they suggested bioguard metal magnet. It's about $19 for a quart. Whats the thoughts on this product?
    That appears to be a sequestrant, but not one of the one's we recommend. I would not add a sequestrant yet, since doing so will may cause the stuff JL called "iron dust" to go into solution quicker...therefore remaining hidden in your pool water. For now, if you are able to filter the orange out (and you will know when you backwash by the color), just keep filtering 24/7 for now.

If that does not take care of the problem then you can look at using a sequestrant. See the pool school article mentioned above for recommended sequestrants.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

8. Back To Top    #8

I have not added anything today and water is more green than orange. Im assuming the rust has settled to the bottom. Unfortunately I'm stuck waiting of local FD to bring last load of water before I can filter the water.

9. Back To Top    #9

Can you see it on the bottom?

When you get your pool full, the first thing you might want to do is vacuuming that stuff on the bottom to waste.

Is the "green" water a transparent green or a cloudy green?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

10. Back To Top    #10

Can not see the bottom. Cloudy green. This is becoming a nightmare. I hate having to depend on FD to deliver the water as I want to get the pump and filter going like yesterday!

11. Back To Top    #11

If it is a cloudy green, most likely it is algae, and you will need to do the shocking process. Also take a look at this pool school article: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...efeating_algae

12. Back To Top    #12

You could add a bottle of bleach and brush the pool really well to mix it in ... might slow down the algae growth, but it will be hard to follow the shock process until the filter is running and you have the FAS-DPD test.

Edit: given your 9000 gallon pool size ... you may want to stick with about 90oz or so at a time so that FC is not too high with zero CYA in the water.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

13. Back To Top    #13

I went out and took a picture of pool water. In the picture it is showing up as more orange now than green. I'm sorry I keep posting but I'm driving myself crazy trying to figure out things to do while I wait for another load of water. Once that is here I will be hooking pump and fliter up.[attachment=0:1f19elqa]071912150253.jpg[/attachment:1f19elqa]
    Attached Images Attached Images

14. Back To Top    #14

Wow. Is the last truck scheduled to come soon? Hopefully it is, the faster you start filtering the easier it will be to clean up.

I would put bleach in and brush to mix. That will hopefully prevent algae until you can get the filter started up.
    11,700 gallon 21' round 54" deep all-resin AGP - June 2012
    Waterway 1HP 2-speed pump / 100 sq ft cartridge filter
    Hayward 150,000btu Natural Gas heater
    I use and recommend the TF-100 for testing

15. Back To Top    #15

How long are you supposed to have to wait for the water?

You may be able to just put the hoses over the side and start filtering the water.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

16. Back To Top    #16

Supposedly its going to come this evening but I'm not sure if it will happen or not. Can you direct me on putting hose over side? Pump has to be primed right?

17. Back To Top    #17

Well under normal circumstances the prime comes from gravity but you will have to prime yourself to get it started if you are tossing hoses over the side I believe.

18. Back To Top    #18

I have never done it, but you would first have to figure out a way to keep the suction hose end under the water (tie a weight to it?) and not to get stuck to the pool surface.

How does it attach to the pump? I was thinking you could fill the hose with water in the pool, cover the end with your hand and shove it into the pump, but I am not sure how the connections work. You may be able to connect the hose and then fill the pump basket with water and close it up?

I am just grasping at straws
    Jason, TFP Moderator

19. Back To Top    #19

A garden hose works better to fill the hose :P Don't worry, it won't take much of your well water (I assume that's what you have)

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    I have never done it, but you would first have to figure out a way to keep the suction hose end under the water (tie a weight to it?) and not to get stuck to the pool surface.
    Not that I would know this ...but I just use my vacuum hose with weighted vacuum head that I put in my deep end. The other end of my hose gets attaced to a temporary barb fitting that I attach to the input of my pump. Seems to be working really well right now...not that I would know that

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast