Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Newbie has question

1. Back To Top    #1

Newbie has question

We are cursed with having clay soil. It's red and when it's dry it's like baby powder. Since opening my pool this year (first season ever) I always have it on the bottom of the liner. I have done countless oclt's to make sure it's not algae, and I pass the test every time. I vacuum every other day, but it only stays clean for a few hours. Anyone else experience this? Do you think adding DE to my sand filter would help?
    Last night oclt - starting 7, morning 7 cc is zero

Today's test
    Fc 9 (i added chlorox before work)
    Cc 0
    Ph 7.6
    Ta 80
    cya 45
    ch don't test

Also, my husband checked our filter and he swears it is not leaking sand.
    14k gallon oval agp, sand filter, 1hp pump, BBB method, K-2006 Test Kit
    Roanoke, VA

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Newbie has question

I'll let someone else answer about the DE helping but I have the same problem with fine grain sand getting blown into my pool. I've been trying to keep the ground wet around the pool and it seems to help some. Are you in a watering restricted area?
    6500 gal, Intex 18'x48" above ground, 1hp Pro Sand Filter, TF100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

put a sock over the return before you turn your pump on next time or have someone hold it over the return for a couple of minutes that will tell you if it is sand out of the filter.....Mike
    18x52 intex ultra frame pool 6981 gallons, 1 HP LL pump with 19 in sand filter,BBB method,borax 50ppm
    leslies DPD test kit + fas-dpd chlorine test kit + borates test strips
    thru wall skimmer,hard plumbed with 2 returns 1 1/2 sch 40 pvc
    1 large fountain 1 inch sch 40 pvc,shut off ball valves on all

4. Back To Top    #4

We are on a well so no water restriction. I will go put a sock over the return and let you know what happens. I have watered around the pool...I haven't noticed an improvement.
    Roanoke, VA

5. Back To Top    #5

Ok, I don't know how long we should hold the sock over the return, but after 5 minutes there was no change to the sock.
    Roanoke, VA

6. Back To Top    #6

Try vacuuming with the sock over the return and see if you get different results. If you notice red in the sock, DE may help. See Pool School for how to do it. I see Wal_mart sells little 10 pound boxes of it. HTH D.E. Filter Aid is what they call it but online has the wrong image.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100