Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Ok i have a 16K pool and just got these results back:
.5 FAC
1 TAC
7.8 PH
100 TA
430 Calcium Hardness
60 CYA

I have my chlorine way down because I am running two bottles of scaletec through my pool..it says to get it down below 2ppm so its obvious I have done that. Btw, how well does that stuff work? i have some metal looking stains on my pool and spa floor...its seems to have made the "pitting" in my pool walls less "seeable" though....

Anyway for the 7.8PH, they suggested adding a qt of Muratic acid....This is the first time I have ever had to add acid..
Will that also bring down the TA level? Was that enough? How do I get down the Calcium or do I need to?

Any other suggestions welcome.

Okay, calcium hardness is a bit high. You generally dont want to go above 400. With high CH you could begin to form scale- especially with a high pH. Unfortunately the only way to lower it is by dilution so you may want to consider draining 1/4-1/2 the pool and refill. This will cut the hardness down and get the CYA down which is also a tad on the high side. Adding the muriatic acid will also drop the TA. Be very careful when adding it. Pour it SLOWLY over a return and keep the bottle close to the water level to prevent splashing. If you decide to drain some of the pool test your water after and go from there. Dont add the acid yet. If you are not going to drain the pool, add the acid and test a couple hours later. With a CYA of 60 your FC should be about 6ppm. You could go 4-5ppm but youd need to add algaecide.

Will that also bring down the TA level?
Temporarily, yes.

Was that enough?
You must test your current pH and see how much it moved. How low are you trying to get?

Calcium can only be lowered by draining and refilling. It wouldn't be a bad idea to lower it but you can handfle your scaling condition with proper management of your pH and Alk.

duraleigh said:
Will that also bring down the TA level?
Temporarily, yes.

Was that enough?
You must test your current pH and see how much it moved. How low are you trying to get?

Calcium can only be lowered by draining and refilling. It wouldn't be a bad idea to lower it but you can handfle your scaling condition with proper management of your pH and Alk.

Why only temporarily?

How do you handle scaling with proper PH and alk? What levels do I need to stay at?

The key to preventing scaling is to watch your PH closely and make sure it never goes too high. It is also good to keep both TA and CH levels reasonable as much as possible.

Reducing both TA and CH would be good at this point. In the mean time don't let PH get above 7.5.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.