Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Where are the old "pool sweeps" that float the surface???

1. Back To Top    #1

Where are the old "pool sweeps" that float the surface???

20 years ago I had a pool sweep, hooked up to a return, that floated the surface of the pool, had 2 or 3 flexible legs that swished back and forth on the bottom and sides of the pool, stirring up any debris. It left the skimmers working, and the main drains, so they could suck up debris. I believe the unit running around the surface of the pool had a bag on it to collect floating debris, leaves, bugs, etc. It worked SO good, ran around collecting surface stuff EVERYWHERE, even over step areas, and stirred up stuff on the bottom so they could be sucked up by main drains and skimmers. You could even swim while it was running.

I can't find anything like this on the market anymore! I bought a Zodiak Barracuda for my new pool in Virginia now, just starting up the pool. But, I don't know if this will do the job for me, walls are vertical, and I can't see it doing anything for cleaning up the surface bugs, etc. And, to get good suction, you have to close off the main drains and skimmers, so nothing is cleaning the pool except the Barracuda on the bottom.

Any advice??? I don't think I'm going to like the Barracuda cleaner, or any of the bottom robots, so starting to look for the old-style floating pressure cleaner ... can't find any!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Where are the old "pool sweeps" that float the surface??

My old pool used to have one of the Jandy Energy Sweeps. Although you could run it while swimming, I did a back dive into it on Father's Day 1986, and took six stitches to the noggin. It worked off of a 3/4 connection on the side of the pool if memory serves.

Like this?

http://www.poolcenter.com/parts_cleaner ... _sweep.htm

Not sure where you might find something like this anymore.
    19204 Gallon L Shape with a 10X10 2nd Step Baja Ledge. Intellichlor IC-40, IntellipH, Cartridge Filter, Pentair Heater/Chiller (Heat Pump). Tons of Deck with Deck Jets. Construction Complete 6/5/17.

"If you don't measure it, you can't manage it!"

3. Back To Top    #3

Not sure if this is comparable to what you're looking for but looks interesting to me.

Just googled it.

Here's what I googled: "floating pool skimmer" this gave more than one listing

Here's one link: http://www.solar-breeze.com/
    Angie M.
    AG, 26' x 52" Intex Ultra Frame, vinyl, 14667 gal. And LOVING it!!! Hayward S15922S 1HP, 2SP pump and Hayward S220T Sand Filter. Hard plumbed with PVC, added second return, intex SWG, Hydro Pool widemouth skimmer. Set up in May 2012!
    N.E. Florida. TF100 - Best investment EVER! (Well, for the pool anyway)

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

The "Pool Sweep" hasn't been been sold in years. It was the granddaddy of modern pool cleaners. It lost out to cleaners that actually collected debris, instead of stirring it up to be collected at the main drain. RIP
    In the industry, CSP (Certified Service Professional) by the NSPI and it's successor the APSP. My company services over 600 pools every year. I think the practices regularly espoused on this forum (especially the BBB method) are outstanding; however my comments will be often oriented towards the goal of getting it done, and getting it done right now!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Taterfink
    Not sure if this is comparable to what you're looking for but looks interesting to me.

Just googled it.

This looks great, solar powered, no hoses, etc. ... but pricey!!! ($549) Thanks!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Qwaxalot
    The "Pool Sweep" hasn't been been sold in years. It was the granddaddy of modern pool cleaners. It lost out to cleaners that actually collected debris, instead of stirring it up to be collected at the main drain. RIP
    Yes, I realize that now. But all these pricey floor robots do nothing for all the debris floating on the surface. Would be nice to collect the bugs, dust, etc. BEFORE it sinks to the bottom.

7. Back To Top    #7

One word - PoolSkim.com

Awesome supplement to any cleaning regiment. Ask any on this board.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by thadius65
    One word - PoolSkim.com

Awesome supplement to any cleaning regiment. Ask any on this board.
    Thank you, but I don't see how this would do any better than my skimmers (as long as I don't let them get clogged up). Furthermore, my returns are on the bottom of my pool (concrete with fiberglass mat resurfacing).

I'd still like to find something that runs around the pool (like the old auto skimmers did), sucking up all the junk. The only thing I've found so far that impress me are the Solar-Breeze (too expensive) and a couple of remote control units; but you still would have to sit there and control it ... might as well get up and do it with a net and get some exercise!

I'm tempted to figure out how to build one myself ... just need to figure out how to make the unit reverse direction if it gets stuck. Any advice on that?

9. Back To Top    #9

I have two skimmers and this out does both of them. I have many trees and debris and this pulls the stuff in like it is a black hole vortex. Watch YouTube videos.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by JennyM
    Quote Originally Posted by Taterfink

Just googled it.

This looks great, solar powered, no hoses, etc. ... but pricey!!! ($549) Thanks!

My Daddy always told me "it only costs twice as much to go first class!"

Angie M.
    AG, 26' x 52" Intex Ultra Frame, vinyl, 14667 gal. And LOVING it!!! Hayward S15922S 1HP, 2SP pump and Hayward S220T Sand Filter. Hard plumbed with PVC, added second return, intex SWG, Hydro Pool widemouth skimmer. Set up in May 2012!
    N.E. Florida. TF100 - Best investment EVER! (Well, for the pool anyway)