SWG Issue

Reebs

Bronze Supporter
Aug 4, 2008
Hebron, CT
I have what I believe to be a SWG issue. I am trying to do a few things to test this, but I am almost certain my SWG is malfunctioning or not functioning at all. How long can I keep adding bleach to sustain FC levels and keep swimming? This may be a novice question, but I don’t want to have any issues from doing this repeatedly. My concern is the SWG could take some time to get serviced if that is the problem. Thanks

You can switch back and forth between adding chlorine manually and using the SWG at any time without problems. Just make sure you are raising FC levels to the correct non-SWG target level when adding chlorine manually.

Thanks for all the help. My SWG is definitely not working right. Either not at all or not correctly. I know this because all my lights on the display are blinking (which may be from slightly high salt, but that is what I am working on testing by diluting my pool which is a process). Blinking lights are not at all normal and they just blink on and off. If I were betting, I think something is wrong with the SWG. My most recent pool test results are as follows (and we have had VERY high heat and humidity these last many days).

FC= 1.5 (usually I am around 4 or 5)
CC= 0.5
PH=7.7
TA=130 (it’s often 110 to 130 but with a vinyl liner I don’t get too concerned here)
CH= 50
CYA=54
Salt=4300

SWG normal operation is at 4000 according to the manual, but I spoke to a tech support person today and they prefer 3500…not sure why the manual says 4000! I typically keep my salt around 3600-3800 and have never had this problem. I am in my 7th season. I shocked my pool on July 14th due to some clear algae and added salt because I had a reading of 3300 and somehow I got taken by surprise and ended up with quite high salt. I just don’t think a salt reading of 4300 would cause my SWG to go out of whack. The tech said he has seen that before. I think it is coincidence, but I am trying to rule it out by diluting my water which is a process. So…I need to add bleach and it appears I can do this for quite some time. If anyone has any additional thoughts, please feel free but I am not confident my SWG will suddenly work fine again. I am running the filter all night to let the added water filter through. SWG is off.

I am in CT so maybe that is why it lasts longer. Its stored inside for the winter (all disassembled). The Generator itself is under warranty for 10 Years (limited). After 3 years it drops to 60% coverage. I am on the original cell. Even if it was the cell, I am not sure it would be causing all these lights to malfunction? Could be wrong...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It appears for the most part the generator is OK. The “Flow Switch” appears to be faulty- from what I understand, the flow switch has nothing to do with generating chlorine, but was causing errors in the system causing it to malfunction. We have a replacement flow switch on order, and in the meantime my pool company has bypassed the flow switch until the replacement arrives allowing the generator to function properly. Because my generator runs only when the filter runs (set to the pool timer) this can work temporarily this way. The cell itself looks to be in good shape.

I suppose so. My SWG unit is rather simple. Nothing digital (perhaps less to go wrong). Just a simple dial with LED lights indicating the percentage of power to the side. I paid a lot for it back in 2005 (our first season of use was 2006). I want to say close to $2000. It does have a 10 year warranty, but after 3 years, it is only covered at 60% and doesn’t include labor, but that still provides some protection. I asked my pool technician and he says they expect at least 5 years out of the cells on these units. Out of curiosity, when you say you are surprised it lasted that long, do you mean the entire system or just the cell?

I would think the cell, it really does all the work. The other portion is just a transformer. If its analog then there's really nothing to go wrong. The cell plates usually have a special coating that wears away with usage.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.