Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SWG Issue

1. Back To Top    #1

SWG Issue

I have what I believe to be a SWG issue. I am trying to do a few things to test this, but I am almost certain my SWG is malfunctioning or not functioning at all. How long can I keep adding bleach to sustain FC levels and keep swimming? This may be a novice question, but I don’t want to have any issues from doing this repeatedly. My concern is the SWG could take some time to get serviced if that is the problem. Thanks
    22,500 gal Lagoon shaped inground pool, vinyl liner, Hayward 4800 DE Filter, Hayward 1.5 HP super pump, Aqua Heat Pump, Nexus Pure SWG, Aquabot, Hebron, CT

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: SWG Issue

You can add bleach for an indefinite period of time. You might as well turn off the SWG while waiting for service though.
    19204 Gallon L Shape with a 10X10 2nd Step Baja Ledge. Intellichlor IC-40, IntellipH, Cartridge Filter, Pentair Heater/Chiller (Heat Pump). Tons of Deck with Deck Jets. Construction Complete 6/5/17.

"If you don't measure it, you can't manage it!"

3. Back To Top    #3

You can switch back and forth between adding chlorine manually and using the SWG at any time without problems. Just make sure you are raising FC levels to the correct non-SWG target level when adding chlorine manually.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    You can switch back and forth between adding chlorine manually and using the SWG at any time without problems. Just make sure you are raising FC levels to the correct non-SWG target level when adding chlorine manually.
    Is is also likely that your CYA is going to be too high for managing your pool with bleach for too long.
    19204 Gallon L Shape with a 10X10 2nd Step Baja Ledge. Intellichlor IC-40, IntellipH, Cartridge Filter, Pentair Heater/Chiller (Heat Pump). Tons of Deck with Deck Jets. Construction Complete 6/5/17.

"If you don't measure it, you can't manage it!"

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by elwood58
    Is is also likely that your CYA is going to be too high for managing your pool with bleach for too long.
    IF he had CYA at an appropriate level for SWG to begin with. He isn't CERTAIN that there is a problem with SWG but perhaps low CYA is the problem.
    13'x22'x52" 8,000 gallon ProSeries Pool with Borates
    Intex 110 pound Sand Filter with Zeobrite, 2650 gph pump, 0.95 hp
    Bestway SWG
    AquaPro ECO500 50,000 BTU heat pump
    GLI Whirlwind Solar Cover Reel, TF-100 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for all the help. My SWG is definitely not working right. Either not at all or not correctly. I know this because all my lights on the display are blinking (which may be from slightly high salt, but that is what I am working on testing by diluting my pool which is a process). Blinking lights are not at all normal and they just blink on and off. If I were betting, I think something is wrong with the SWG. My most recent pool test results are as follows (and we have had VERY high heat and humidity these last many days).

FC= 1.5 (usually I am around 4 or 5)
    CC= 0.5
    PH=7.7
    TA=130 (it’s often 110 to 130 but with a vinyl liner I don’t get too concerned here)
    CH= 50
    CYA=54
    Salt=4300

SWG normal operation is at 4000 according to the manual, but I spoke to a tech support person today and they prefer 3500…not sure why the manual says 4000! I typically keep my salt around 3600-3800 and have never had this problem. I am in my 7th season. I shocked my pool on July 14th due to some clear algae and added salt because I had a reading of 3300 and somehow I got taken by surprise and ended up with quite high salt. I just don’t think a salt reading of 4300 would cause my SWG to go out of whack. The tech said he has seen that before. I think it is coincidence, but I am trying to rule it out by diluting my water which is a process. So…I need to add bleach and it appears I can do this for quite some time. If anyone has any additional thoughts, please feel free but I am not confident my SWG will suddenly work fine again. I am running the filter all night to let the added water filter through. SWG is off.
    22,500 gal Lagoon shaped inground pool, vinyl liner, Hayward 4800 DE Filter, Hayward 1.5 HP super pump, Aqua Heat Pump, Nexus Pure SWG, Aquabot, Hebron, CT

7. Back To Top    #7

7th season with the same SWCG?
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

8. Back To Top    #8

Yes. I assume that is not unheard of considering it comes with a 10 year limited warranty. What is the typical lifespan of a SWG? For the price paid, I have to imagine many years.

9. Back To Top    #9

We typically say the cells last 3-5 years ... although most only have a 3-5 year warranty.

See here for a comparison:
    http://www.discountsaltpool.com/Full_Ma ... arison.htm
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

10. Back To Top    #10

I am in CT so maybe that is why it lasts longer. Its stored inside for the winter (all disassembled). The Generator itself is under warranty for 10 Years (limited). After 3 years it drops to 60% coverage. I am on the original cell. Even if it was the cell, I am not sure it would be causing all these lights to malfunction? Could be wrong...

11. Back To Top    #11

May be worth your while to check the plates for buildup. That can be cleaned with a soak in muriatic acid and water.
    Bestway SWG

12. Back To Top    #12

I did that just before start-up this year so I am fairly certain they are clean. I will though...

13. Back To Top    #13

Just wondering if your SWG was ok.
    Bestway SWG

14. Back To Top    #14

It appears for the most part the generator is OK. The “Flow Switch” appears to be faulty- from what I understand, the flow switch has nothing to do with generating chlorine, but was causing errors in the system causing it to malfunction. We have a replacement flow switch on order, and in the meantime my pool company has bypassed the flow switch until the replacement arrives allowing the generator to function properly. Because my generator runs only when the filter runs (set to the pool timer) this can work temporarily this way. The cell itself looks to be in good shape.

15. Back To Top    #15

Good to hear. Unbelievable that it has lasted that long. A good product and consistently good chemical balance are responsible for that I would guess.
    Bestway SWG

16. Back To Top    #16

I suppose so. My SWG unit is rather simple. Nothing digital (perhaps less to go wrong). Just a simple dial with LED lights indicating the percentage of power to the side. I paid a lot for it back in 2005 (our first season of use was 2006). I want to say close to $2000. It does have a 10 year warranty, but after 3 years, it is only covered at 60% and doesn’t include labor, but that still provides some protection. I asked my pool technician and he says they expect at least 5 years out of the cells on these units. Out of curiosity, when you say you are surprised it lasted that long, do you mean the entire system or just the cell?

17. Back To Top    #17

I would think the cell, it really does all the work. The other portion is just a transformer. If its analog then there's really nothing to go wrong. The cell plates usually have a special coating that wears away with usage.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

18. Back To Top    #18

Yes the cell.
    Bestway SWG