Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. If you have problems logging in to the new system, you should try resetting your password. Click HERE to do that. Pool School

Thread: Leslie's Pool School

Leslie's Pool School

Hi, I am getting started to take care of my own pool. My local Leslie's store recommend their pool school service.

"Leslie’s professional technician will come out to your home and show you how to use all of your equipment, including your valves, timers, pumps, filters, cleaners, chlorinators, and heaters."

It's going to cost $110 for a one-hour lesson. Has anyone tried it before? Is it worth it? Thank you!
    20,000 gallons, IG plaster, probably built in the 80's.
    Filter: Hayward Pro-Grid DE6020, 120 GPM.
    Pump: Magnetek century E-plus, Purex Triton Whisperflow, WFE-4C, 1HP.
    Fountain booster: Century Centurion A O Smith, CAT B848, 1HP.
    Spa booster: G.E. Jacuzzi pump
    Heater: Raypak RP2100 Digital, Low Nox

Re: Leslie's Pool School

I wouldn't. You've got 30 some thousand people here who operate their own pools. If we can't figure it out, Leslie's hasn't got a chance.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

For some people, this would be worth it for the equipment orientation and operation. It might even make it easier for them to ask for help from us, as they will know the answers to all of the questions we will be asking. Just ignore everything they say about chemicals
    14100 Gal IG MiniPebble, Pentair Intellichlor IC-40 SWG, Sand Filter, Pop Up Cleaning 1/4 Acre Desert Landscaped, Lots of Deck. Built in 1984
    "If you don't measure it, you can't manage it!"

I agree with both of the previous responses to an extent.

I am sure we could help you figure out everything, but if you are truly new to everything, it may be less daunting to have someone there to show you everything (ignore their chemical advice). At least then you would be better able to explain to us any problems you are having.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, Dolphin Diagnostic Robotic Cleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Gone: Hayward RS1500 pump, undersized DIY solar heater, Dolphin Dynamic Robotic Cleaner
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL

I'll drive over to Riverside and figure out what valve goes where for 110 bucks. And I'll throw in a free water test. And I'll let you play with my speedstir.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    I'll drive over to Riverside and figure out what valve goes where for 110 bucks. And I'll throw in a free water test. And I'll let you play with my speedstir.
    Now there's some real pool schooling! I'd pay Richard $110 over Leslies any day.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 1.5hp Dynamo pump. 24" Pentair Sand Dollar Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit
    You can stop SLAMing your pool when you pass the OCLT (You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & You have .5ppm CC's or less) & your water is clear.

Now there's some real pool schooling! I'd pay Richard $110 over Leslies any day

Yea, and Richard is handsome too!
    18X48 Intex, 2500 gph filter, TFP for 4 years and lovin' it! Pool school is your best friend!

I did the Leslie's Pool School for $60 at the beginning of summer season a couple of years back as I had NEVER had a pool before. It was helpful in learning what knob does what...how to clean the filters, what to do in case of..., blah blah. But DEFINITELY NOT worth anywhere near $100+
    32x16 -16,500 gallon plaster pool with connected spa and spillover, Hayward RS 1 HP pump, 2 Hayward Cartridge filters. 10 hours of direct sun a day and a first time pool owner!!

Thank you all for the replies! I will try to figure things out with your help. If it gets too daunting, I will have Richard come over

Yeah I'd go with Richard over Leslie's! If I didn't know about my pool, I'd buy him a plane ticket to visit Ohio!
    11,700 gallon 21' round 54" deep all-resin AGP - June 2012
    Waterway 1HP 2-speed pump / 100 sq ft cartridge filter
    Hayward 150,000btu Natural Gas heater
    I use and recommend the TF-100 for testing

Leslie's? Not a chance, I would rather call the zoo for their monkeys, who would be better informed about pools and would communicate better.
    My cement pond is a 36K gunite 20X40 built in mid 1960s, Hayward S244S filter, Aquarite SWCG, Jandy 1.5HP 2sp, TF-Test kit and Nitro Wall Climber

Okay. I've read enough on this forum to realize how ignorant I am and how incompetent my pool guys are about maintaining the pool.

Thanks, Richard, for offering to come over. Could you also teach us how to function the equipments and maintain the pool on our own? Please PM me with your contact. Thank you very much!

If you take some good clear photos of the pool, the pump, the valves and filter equipment (all the stuff that makes noise), I am sure we can get give you some help.

If Richard is coming over, all the better. It would also allow him to prepare better.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100