Mint Hill, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool Edge-40
I just bought a "new" Polaris 380. It's almost 100% complete, appears to be unused including several paper tags and such that are supposed to be removed before use that do not show any exposure to water. I paid $65 including shipping for it! :party:

However there are a couple of parts either missing or damaged. The tail scrubber is missing. The red disk mentioned in the owners manual is missing. The bag (mesh) has a few small holes and one larger hole (1") and closes with velcro not a zipper. I'm planning to repair this bag to get up and running soon but I want advice on what to replace this with. There are a LOT of choices in 380 replacement bags. Is Zippered preferred over Velcro? What's the reason for disposable bags? When do you use all purpose (mesh) vs. leaf (netting), vs. Sand/Silt (fine mesh)? Is it important to buy Polaris Brand or are knockoff's good? My pool ends up with a fairly regular dose of leaves due to close proximity of trees, suicide earthworns, and some sand/silt if that helps.

Lastly, is there a best place to order these things from?

Re: Polaris 380 - Replacement Bags / Tail Scrubbers - Advice

UnderWaterVanya:

I have ordered some Polaris replacement parts from http://www.poolproducts4less.com.

As for the type of bags, the zipper/velcro is a personal preference. I use velcro since that's what it came with. When it is time to replace the bag, I will look at both types and probably go with the least expensive. As for mesh type, that's dependent on what type of debris is most commonly in your pool. If it's subject to a lot of blowing dirt/dust, I would get the fine mesh bag. Otherwise, the general purpose mesh (what I use) will work well for most situations.

My pool has an odd (to me - pool newbie) arrangement of returns. There are two returns with eyeballs on the steps and then there is another return with a female threaded connection for a polaris quick disconnect fitting opposite the skimmer. The Hayward Chlorinator is hooked in series with the stair returns (unused as I am doing BBB) and the booster pump takes water off a T ahead of the Chlorinator and through a small hose to the booster pump used for the Polaris. The impact of this is that the return opposite the skimmer has weak flow - partly due to the lack of a restrictor plate (I just got this and have not yet installed it) and partly due to the smaller tubing which reduces the flow.

So my question is - should I move this quick disconnect fitting to one of the stair returns and replumb so that the side return is feed normally and add an eyeball or similar to it? Can a Polaris work correctly when the return used by it is located at one end on the stairs or is this just asking for trouble? (Picture on quick installation step 2 in the manual seems to imply end located returns would work... but people who have tried this may have another opinion.)

EDIT: Added a shot of the stairs on one side to show how the return is situated.

I liked the zipper vs the velcro. To me the velcro wears out too quick and doesnt hold as well. The zipper withstands much more and never had an issue with the zipper until my dog got a hold of it.

The tail scrubber can be purchased to replace the missing piece. If need be you can replace the whole tail.

mynewpool said:
I liked the zipper vs the velcro. To me the velcro wears out too quick and doesnt hold as well. The zipper withstands much more and never had an issue with the zipper until my dog got a hold of it.

The tail scrubber can be purchased to replace the missing piece. If need be you can replace the whole tail.

Thanks. I found a 3 pack and 5 pack on Amazon.com for pretty cheap and plan to order these for my future needs. In the meantime Leslie's has a single tail scrubber for about $6.50 so I may just run by there and grab one. I'm trying to fix the bag for a temp fix myself and order a nice zippered bag online - Leslie's only has the velcro bag and they want over $36.00 for it which seems silly high for that version of the bag.

Gave up on repairing bag for now and bought a zippered bag at Leslie's and a tail sweep. They cost more but since I'm buying nothing else and they stock all the parts it seems like a reasonable trade.

Man am I impressed! The all purpose bag may not get as fine a silt as the sand/silt bag but it worked really well overall and picked up a lot of sandy stuff.

Better yet, my daughter and her friend each lost an earring. The Polaris found both and both backs!

$65 including shipping??? :whoot: That's a real bargain!!! :goodjob: I just paid twice that for a tune-up kit. :roll:

I've been using a 180/280/380 since 1995. I never found any real use for the tail scrubber, so I rarely use one.

The red disk is only needed if you need to reduce the pressure from the booster pump. I've never had to use the red or blue one.

Never figured out how to repair bags, so I just buy new ones, the cheaper the better, and zipper bags haven't yet been cheaper.

*All-purpose bag? I use it almost all the time. Get lots of dirt; the sand/silt even more.
*Sand/silt? Get one; you need a spare anyway & try it out. You'll figure out when to use it after seeing it in action.
*Disposable bags? IDK. Maybe when the sand/silt isn't enough.
*Leaf (netting)? Rarely. The all-purpose holds lots of debris & packs it pretty tight into the bag. So tight, in fact, that it can cause the 380 to run around on it's side.
*Knockoff's good? Not IMO. I bought a couple and the velcro doesn't hold them closed.

Lastly, a best place to order from? Haven't found one, but I only do 2 searches now - one on eBay and the other on Amazon. You can find that day's best deal in just a few minutes.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy your 380. It's got some quirks, but folks here can offer you lots of tips on it. If you ever figure out how to mend the bags, please post back and let me in on the secret.

Cheers!

If I could find a damaged bag to use for material I'm sure I could repair the bag I have... But after seeing the bag in action I don't think the replacement materials I found are close enough.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.