combined total free chlorine

I am a little confused over Total Chlorine, Combined Chlorine and Free Chlorine

The HTH 3 way test kit to my knowledge, measures Total Chlorine

My test strips measure only Free Chlorine
I currently have no way of measuring Combined Chlorine.

It is my understanding that Combined Chlorine = Total Chlorine – Free Chlorine

So if I have free Chlorine at 2ppm
and Total Chlorine at 5ppm
I have combined chlorine of 3ppm and I need to shock the pool ? Even though it looks great, sparkling and clear ?

No I dont have a Taylor test kit, im In Ontario Canada and they are next to impossible to obtain.

You have the right idea. However, if you are getting FC and TC from two different test kits, the errors in their readings won't be correlated, so the potential error in the CC result will be much larger than it would be if you got both numbers from the same test kit. To put that another way, chances are than one or the other test result is wrong, and thus you can't trust the CC result you get that way.

Did not use the pool yesterday and neglected to check it.......
This morning, Total Chlorine and free chlorine are both at zero. Which in effect is a good thing i guess.....
Added 42oz of walmart bleach to bring it up to 4-5
Looks sparkling crystal clear
How long before water goes bad if FC left at zero ? im guessing a few days at least, and less as the temps go up ?

Algae will start to grow any time the FC is lower than the minimum for your CYA level as shown in the CYA/FC chart in Pool School. What is your CYA level?

One of the recommended test kits would be a very good investment for you. As right now it seems like you only test for a couple of the chemicals.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone ;)

My pool went bad last season after being below minimum for maybe 6 hours. It can happen fast.

I caught it early, and all was well 12 hours later. But I also have a test kit that tells me if something's wonky. I know it's hard to find the right kit, but it really is worth some further effort to get one.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.