Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: Killing weeds between pool deck pavers

Killing weeds between pool deck pavers

Is there an easy way to get rid of the weeds that keep on poking up between the pavers around my pool? I'd love to use Roundup or something like that since it's easy, but I don't know how much the pool would like it.
    18K (I think) gal gunite pool, Pentair FNS DE Filter, Polaris 280 cleaner, TF-100 Test Kit

Senior Member In the Industry

Round-up is the trick. Obviously, don't spray gallons into the pool but a little oversprayed drift is harmless.

Actually, Round-up is an amazingly harmless weed killer in general....except to weeds.
    Dave S.
    Site Owner 42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter, No SWG
    TFTestkits owner
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

agreed. Round up will do the trick.
    My Pool - 18x24 fully setup Cabana, 22x48 gunite/quartz plaster (3-5-3 depth) & 8' spa w/ spill and 5' natural rock waterfall; Hayward DE filter/pumps/heater; Hayward Pro Logic controller; Phantom cleaner. Finished 06/01/07.

RedishConstruction.com

Re: Killing weeds between pool deck pavers

You can also try vinegar. I use it all the time on the weeds that get in the driveway cracks.

Bleach. Yes, really. Try it first on a spare paver to make sure it doesn't, um, bleach out.
    — AnnaK —

12,000 gal AGP, Hayward sand filter, Pentair 2-speed pump, timer.
    Please visit our Pool Issues pages for information about step weights, managing the solar cover, and PoolSkim.

As harmless as synthetics *may* be, I prefer organics, like Nature's Avenger.
    Roughly 15x30 IG Gunite/Diamondbrite, 14,000 gallon
    Heliocol Solar 7(4x10) panels w/Aqua Solar controller, Intelliflo 4x160 pump, Hayward C1200 filter, Autopilot DIG-220 w/SC48 SWG, The Pool Cleaner sweep

I also use round up
    15,500g Rectangle IG Sport Pool

Use a propane torch and singe the leaves of the weed (don't burn the weed completely). This will kill the weed, root and all.
    13,000 gal AGP, Hayward X-Stream 100 sq ft cartridge, 1 HP Hayward Power-Flo Matrix Pump, all on two 6-hour on cycles per day. Baquacil to BBB convert.
    "It is necessary for us to learn from others' mistakes. You will not live long enough to make them all yourself." - Hyman G. Rickover

I found a type of Roundup that works really well. The Roundup Extended Control Weed & Grass Killer Plus Weed Preventer supposedly keeps weeds at bay for up to 4 months. 4 months is stretching it, but it does keep them away for at least a month.
    18K (I think) gal gunite pool, Pentair FNS DE Filter, Polaris 280 cleaner, TF-100 Test Kit

I poured used peanut oil (cold) leftover from deep-frying a turkey out in the lawn one time. It killed the grass there for a year...

It makes concrete really slick though...

I'll raise my hand for Roundup too...great stuff...
    Fortune favors the well prepared

The build...
    viewtopic.php?t=3974
    Freeform 24' x 38' IG gunite. 3 1/2' to 8' deep. 28,500 gallons. AutoPilot Total Control SWCG. Pentair Intelliflo VF. Pentair CCP520 cartridge filter. Colorlogic LED lights. Tahoe Blue Diamond Brite. 1200 sq ft stamped concrete deck.
    More details as they happen...

After you kill the weeds, you may want to give your deck a good scubbing ( a stiff brush on a broom handle works well) and rinse or pressure wash. After that, brush "polymeric" sand between the bricks and wet down according to the instructions. Polymeric sand is fortified with additives that cause it to bond together, much like grout for ceramic tile. You'll have fewer weeds and insects making their home in your pool deck.

You can usually get polymeric sand at a landscape supply yard that sells brick and stone.
    Cleveland, Ohio
    20 x 46 Vinyl (self-built)
    Pentair Intelliflo VF pump : Pentair Quad D.E. 80 filter : Pentair IC-40 SWG : Raypak 335k N.G. heater
    Diving board : Slide : 4 Jandy Deck Jets : Automatic Cover

Quote Originally Posted by fponzani
    After that, brush "polymeric" sand between the bricks and wet down according to the instructions. Polymeric sand is fortified with additives that cause it to bond together, much like grout for ceramic tile. You'll have fewer weeds and insects making their home in your pool deck.

You can usually get polymeric sand at a landscape supply yard that sells brick and stone.
    I have read that polymeric sand is the way to go as well. The only thing is I can't seem to find it in South Florida. I have called paver companies and they say either to use silica sand or mason sand. Does any one know where to get polymeric sand in So FL?
    20x40 24,000 gal IG plaster/CircuPool RJ45 SWG/2 skimmer/2sp 2.5hp Jandy Stealth/340sq ft cart filter/600sqftHeliocol Solar Panels/6ft semi circlr tanning ledge/25ft deep end bench/5ft sheer descent/2 lion head water features/1300sqft travertine paver/2 Colorlogic lights/Hayward Navigator/3step 2ft raised bond beam

Senior Member The Mermaid Queen's Avatar

salt.

18x32 grecian IG vinyl; ~23000 gallons; 250# sand filter, Hayward superpump with AO Smith motor 1HP SF1.0; booster pump for polaris. Handy Links: Jason's Calculator, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, CYA-Chlorine Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!

Quote Originally Posted by Belldiver
    I poured used peanut oil (cold) leftover from deep-frying a turkey out in the lawn one time. It killed the grass there for a year...

It makes concrete really slick though...

I'll raise my hand for Roundup too...great stuff...
    Now THAT was funny.....peanut oil from a fried turkey...
    15' ROUND, 52" AG
    Newbie at pool ownership!

Quote Originally Posted by The Mermaid Queen
    salt.
    Why waste the salt...it's good for margarita's

Another Round Up fan!

My pool works thanks to TFP

Please support the site! pages/supporters/

It's cheaper than your first trip to the pool store!

Quote Originally Posted by JCJR
    Quote Originally Posted by fponzani
    After that, brush "polymeric" sand between the bricks and wet down according to the instructions. Polymeric sand is fortified with additives that cause it to bond together, much like grout for ceramic tile. You'll have fewer weeds and insects making their home in your pool deck.

I have read that polymeric sand is the way to go as well. The only thing is I can't seem to find it in South Florida. I have called paver companies and they say either to use silica sand or mason sand. Does any one know where to get polymeric sand in So FL?
    Besides polymeric sand, sealing the pavers also can help alot. The sealer will get in the joints and bond the sand together.

As for the Polymeric, did you try Paver Systems in West Palm? I think they sell Polymeric and other joint stabilizer stuff as well. It is referenced in the FAQ at bottom.
    Roughly 15x30 IG Gunite/Diamondbrite, 14,000 gallon
    Heliocol Solar 7(4x10) panels w/Aqua Solar controller, Intelliflo 4x160 pump, Hayward C1200 filter, Autopilot DIG-220 w/SC48 SWG, The Pool Cleaner sweep

Simply boil a mixture of 3 part water and 1 part vinegar and pour it on the pavers. It will kill everything (weeds and ants). As a bonus, the vinegar will clean your kettle.
    14X24 ig vinyl pool 3ft-4 1/2ft deep - 7000 gal
    Aqua Genie skimmer and return - no main drain, 1 hp hayward pump, 27" Hayward filter with Zeobrite,
    Aqua Logic P4 controller + SWG, 2 lights
    192 square feet of solar panels controlled by P4, 5KW electric heater (just in case...)

I agree with round up, it is safer than aspirin, but there would be less maintenance if you used the sand between the pavers